no electical power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no electical power

I was changing the battery with the car running an the positive cable grounded out the car shut off i continued to change the battery went to start the car an nothing no power. Is there a fuseable link or a main power fuse. I checked the fuses in the fuse panel all no power. I checked the three wires by the battery ones for head lights and a main the third i dont know what it does but they all have power. Any help would be appreciated thanks weston.
    5 titled an 2 untitlable festiva's
    an a load of parts

No power as in no cranking?
    So do the headlights turn on, horn work, etc or what?
    Need some clarification, like why were you charging the battery while the car was running?
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

it says changing not charging
      an a load of parts

Comment

head lights or horn dont work
        an a load of parts

Comment

Check the fusable links next to the battery.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by crash618 View Post
            it says changing not charging
            OK, being illiterate has its issues at times!

So are you are sure the fusible links are good?
            Last edited by Pu241; 01-21-2009, 09:19 PM.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

i checked power on both sides of the fusible links all three of them
              an a load of parts

Comment

first, check your fuse box for blown fuses

Second: NEVER EVER change a battery while the engine is running! you can kill your ECM, Alternator, wireing, or all three!!! what were you doing that you needed to change the batt while the engine ran? you may have just shot yourself in the foot.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Cherry Bomb has exactly the same issue. ('88 carbed) Battery is good, terminals and battery wires are cleaned off, fusible links and fuses are good and right values, grounds are secured, but I have NOTHING! No headlights, no electrical power at all! I'm thinking that my ex may have had something done to the car, but I also can't find any cut wires or anything. I am at a total loss. The way it is acting, it would appear it should be at the links, but the terminals are clean, new main cartridges, and they are geting power. NOW what?
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                  88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                  88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                  06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

ground wire

Check for a ground wire to the transmission. Perhaps it broke off the ring terminal, or pulled out of the crimp.

Comment

I'll check that tomorrow in the daylight. Thanks. I hope it is something simple like that.

06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

I had the same problem it was the fusible link the main one. (center one) it dident look burnt or any thing but i guess it was in side the coating i stuck some speaker wire in thier and got me home .... changed it when i got home but, iam not sure if this is the case but, thats what my problem was

Comment

Check the bottom of the fusible link block, I had one that tested good on both sides of the fuse links on top, (symptoms sound the same) ended up being under the fuse block where the wire harness connects to it.
                          (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

I'll have to take the fuse block apart and check after work. The way I see it , it HAS to be in that area, but without taking it apart, all looks normal.

Comment

I have power all the way from the battery, through the fusible link block, and into the wire harness, at least to the plug by the left headlight. I'm thinking the wiring issue now has to be inside the car, probably at the plug at the steering column. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X