Heater core replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater core replacement.

I have to replace my heater core and I'm not liking what I'm reading in either the Haynes or shop manuals. Both say that the entire dashboard has to come out. Has anyone changed their heater core with the dash in?

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

You can get the motor out without taking the dash out. But for the core itself, having taken it out myself, sorry to tell you, but you have to take the dash out.
    The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

I'm going to tackle this job next weekend. While I've got the dash out I'll clean out all the ducts, install the B-Quiet (similar to Dynamat) stuff I picked up a while ago and install the air conditioning I've had sitting in the garage for the past year or so.

If anyone has any tips on this whole process I'd really appreicate it. I'll try and remember to take pictures as I go along too.

Thanks
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

Yeah, the dash definitely has to come out. Definitely do-able in a weekend though. If I recall I did my heater core and installed my remote start while I had my dash out all in one weekend.

Suggestions? Have no mercy. Remove EVERYTHING, it will make your job easier. Definitely remove the steering wheel.

I think there is a bolt on each side ontop of the dash under the covers, plus one in the middle behind the clock. Plus one in each door jam behind the covers. And one on each side beneath the dash (hood release area). And I think there might be one ore two in the middle behind the center console. But thats it.
        89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
        RIP 90LX

Comment

Yuck ! Its a pain.
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I'm going to start work on this tonight. Would it be worthwhile to pull out the front seats to provide more working room?
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

I would leave the seats in. You need a way to be comfortable in doing this or you will just get pissed off.

I have taken mine out a couple times and replaced as well. It isn't as hard as people say it is. Just do what the manual says and you'll be fine.
              -Bryant

Comment

Leave the seats in. You can sit on them when working on it.

When doing major wiring under the dash without removing the dash... yea, remove the seats.
                89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                RIP 90LX

Comment

This is probably one of the very few things i've never done on a festiva, Good luck :thumbright:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Well, stage one is complete... the dash is out. I was pleasantly surprised in that it only took me 90 minutes. Next step... pull the heater box and switch out the heater core.
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Easy peasey lemon squeezey !!
                      sigpic
                      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
                      X