Oil leak continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak continues...

...and I need input from you experienced mechanics. If you've kept up with my saga you know I had to replace the head. Put in new VCG and all new seals. Put in a new PCV valve but when the mechanic who did the head replacement took the new PCV out he laid it on a hot part of the engine and the back side melted. Didn't catch it until the pressure built up and blew the gasket again. Replaced the gasket and also used sealant per advice. Replaced the PCV (again) an no leak for 3 weeks. Now leaking again.

When you're looking at the engine the leak is coming from the front right corner. That seems to be the only place but the oil is coming out in a steady stream. With a new head I don't think I will ever find an older VC that will match perfectly. I really do not want to replace the VC if I don't have to. Any suggestions on how to stop this leak?
    '93 Festiva GL / "HOT ROD"
    '02 F-150 Supercrew
    '02 Excursion 4x4
    '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic Limited

'hondabond' for the valve cover gasket, and maybe use the dipstick tube as a secondary crankcase breather? its not a professional approach by any means, but it's cheap and if it works then great. pcv's are also very cheap, just get another one of those too. i would notch the throttle body so i could remove the valve cover easily if i had to get in there again. there is a thread covering that.

right front by the distributor? isnt there a seal where it goes in? that could be the culprit as well. i remember someone complaining about a no-start condition from the disty getting oily.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

there are 2 seals with the distributor:

o-ring on the outside---distributor to cylinder head (easily replaceable )

and one internal---sealing the distributor shaft to the housing
      (not replaceable)

I am the original

Comment

I'd recommend replacing the o-ring at the disty, I had an oil leak from that area before and a replaced the vc gasket only to find that it was that o ring that was leaking
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

The O-ring is not leaking. It is clearly the right front corner of the VC. I got to looking more closely this afternoon in good light and frankly it looks like the mechanic that resealed the VC clamped down too hard on that corner. The grommet is completely distroyed and I can see oil coming up next to the bolt so I'm headed to the parts store to get new grommets. Hopefully I ca stop this leak without completely changing the gasket.

There's an old saying...if you want it done right....
          '02 F-150 Supercrew
          '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

The VC gasket kit at CarQuest has the bushings and sleeves.

It's not that hard od a repair...pull the cover and clean both the cover and head well.
            Place a liberal bead of this stuff in the groove, place the gasket in the groove and install the cover.....this stuff is awesome! Available at any local Grainger

Grainger Item No.: 1TDX3

http://tinyurl.com/dmzy2s
            Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
            The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Running into a problem. I removed the VC today and had to remove the throttle body to get it off. I paid close attention to how everything went together and reversed the order to put it all back together with a new VC gasket/grommets. Hot Rod will start but won't stay running without my foot on the throttle. Last try he cranked and I ran the RPMs up a little but then noticed a funny smell (an odd burning odor). Rechecked everything and found nothing out of place. Any ideas what could be happening or what I may have missed?

Thanks
              '02 F-150 Supercrew
              '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

VCG Changed but now....

Originally posted by BigWheel View Post
                Running into a problem. I removed the VC today and had to remove the throttle body to get it off. I paid close attention to how everything went together and reversed the order to put it all back together with a new VC gasket/grommets. Hot Rod will start but won't stay running without my foot on the throttle. Last try he cranked and I ran the RPMs up a little but then noticed a funny smell (an odd burning odor). Rechecked everything and found nothing out of place. Any ideas what could be happening or what I may have missed?

Thanks

Sorry guys to bump my own question but I'm desperate for ideas. I've tried everything I know other than tearing everything apart again. Any ideas?
                '02 F-150 Supercrew
                '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

I gotta pay close attention here myself.....except for the smell, that's kinda the same issue Bonnie's been having!
                  1989 Red L- The Baron
                  www.letstalkbeatles.com
                  Link to Baron Pics:
                  http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
                  1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                    I gotta pay close attention here myself.....except for the smell, that's kinda the same issue Bonnie's been having!
                    I don't get it. I took everything off the top of the VC, removed the throttle body, removed the VC & gasket, replaced and put everything back the way I found it. The only thing I did other than the VCG was clean out the PCV valve hose which had a little gunk in it. Hot Rod ran so well before this and now won't run at all. Very discouraged.
                    '02 F-150 Supercrew
                    '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

One of the air ducts or the Throttle Body is leaking....sucking air.

If air enters the TB without passing the VAF at idle two problems exist:
                      1) The ECU get a fals readind of air flow and minimizes fuel.
                      2) The VAF vane/paddle is not displace enough thus the fuel pump circuit will not stay engaged. Quick check....place a jumper in the fuel pump service connector to force the fuel pump on.
                      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I've used lucas oil stabilizer to help with my small/slow leaks. It worked for me and I think its worth giving a try.
                        "If you're not first you're last!" -Ricky Bobby

-91L "Oliver" Now B6DE swapped with an ATX Capri ECU on a MTX!!!!
                        The little Festy that could...and did!
                        (Gone on to a new life)
                        -90 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz View Post
                          One of the air ducts or the Throttle Body is leaking....sucking air.

If air enters the TB without passing the VAF at idle two problems exist:
                          1) The ECU get a fals readind of air flow and minimizes fuel.
                          2) The VAF vane/paddle is not displace enough thus the fuel pump circuit will not stay engaged. Quick check....place a jumper in the fuel pump service connector to force the fuel pump on.
                          Thank you Joe. Once again your advice was dead on. You need to start your own online mechanic service . Took the air intake tube off the TB and adjusted the fitting, replace it and got Hot Rod running. I'm still hearing a sucking noise but think I know the cause. Where the tube connects to the TB there are plastic teeth on the end of the tube. One of those was badly bent and I removed it to keep it from getting inhaled by the TB. I'm pretty sure that is where the noise is coming from. Got to find a new tube now.

Thanks a ton Joe.
                          '02 F-150 Supercrew
                          '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

Working...
                          X