oil pump question for a friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pump question for a friend

I was talking to a friend last night and they mentioned that their festiva was acting up. They said they went to start it the other day and the oil light stayed on and the engine was making alot of upper engine noise. They said they turned it off right away and checked the oil and the oil level was full. Any ideas on what is wrong or what I can check? Can an oil pump just all of a sudden fail like that or are their other issues?
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Actually, I believe an oil pump can indeed fail suddenly. There is also the possibility there is foreign matter in the system plugging something up. I believe FB71 would bve able to say better.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
    88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
    88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
    06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Not familiar with the oil pickup on the festiva yet, never needed to drop the pan yet!
      I suspect it is possible, as hawkdoc60 said, to have a blockage that keeps oil from moving from the pan to the pump or that the shaft to the pump has failed.
      Otherwise I'd expect a gradual lose in oil pressure as the pump itself looses clearances, not an abrupt failure.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Assuming that their actually is no oil pressure, i.e. pressure sensor is ok, your most likely going to find a blocked oil pick up or a faulty oil pump.

Comment

^^^ correct. Also, there is no shaft to drive the pump. It's driven directly off of the crank snout.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
            ^^^ correct. Also, there is no shaft to drive the pump. It's driven directly off of the crank snout.
            So reduced probability of pump drive failure.
            Don't have manual handy, so how is the pump coupled to the "crank snout"?
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by j-stauf7 View Post
              Assuming that their actually is no oil pressure, i.e. pressure sensor is ok, your most likely going to find a blocked oil pick up or a faulty oil pump.
              Pressure sensor is fine, because there is alot of engine noise agreeing with the sensor. I had read in another discussion that bad main bearing can cause low oil pressure also. Is that possible in this situation?

Originally posted by Pu241
              Don't have manual handy, so how is the pump coupled to the "crank snout"?
              It is an assembly that slides over the crankshaft and bolts to the block. It is behind the timing belt gear.
              The Festiva Store
              Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

or a possible bad pressure relief valve located in the pump housing

I am the original

Comment

Common problems to any oil pump is that the pressure relief internal to the pump failed or the sump screen is clogged. In either case, the pan wiil have to be dropped to look further.

In the festiva....a cotter pin holds the pressure relief in place. If the pin...or spring...or seat internal to the relief failed; oil pressure will be lost.

Also....excessively worn rod or crank bearings can cause a pressure drop large enough to force the light on and not supply enough oil tot the upper end causing all of the noise.

Alot of noise....oil light on....oil in the pan...is not good. May be an easy fix but be advises...the engine is not far from self destructing.
                  Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                  The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Main bearing failure normally comes on gradually.

Comment

I'm not sure where the pressure sender is right off the top of my head but if its after the filter I would try replacing the oil filter before I messed around with anything else.

Comment

Sending unit is between the pimp and filter....back side of the block under the intake manifold.

If the filter clogged...the head would make noise but the oil light would not be on.

If the filter failed open inside the pump should still be suffice on flow and pressure...the restictions in the circuit that creat pressure....are down stream of the filter.
                        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Working...
                        X