jumper wires burning up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jumper wires burning up.

hey i met this guy today that had a problem with his festiva, he dosnt have internet so im posting the question for him. he has a 90-93 auto festiva, i think its a 91 but not to shure... anyways, he said that the 3 jumper wires under the hood by the drivers side strut mount burn up. they get hot and start to smoke and burn up... he replaced the computer and that didnt solve it, no he is kind of lost... any ideas? im kind of thinking that the wires leading up to the jumpers are shorted/ grounded out. anyone else have this problem? also i still dont even know what they are for... lol. what the heck do they do?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

they are fused links. there like fuses, they burn up when overloaded.

Has he been replacing them with regular wire? that could be the problem

get him to try some of the fuse cartridges
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Comment

ok ill try that. thanks for the input. but, if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

check his fuses in the fuse block (in dash), he may have the wrong values there. also, are all 3 burning up, or just one? you can do a draw test by placing a test light between the positive terminal and battery post; with the Ign OFF, start pulling fuses in the dash block untill the test light goes out, the last fuse you pull should be the system you focus on. repair the issue and test again.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          check his fuses in the fuse block (in dash), he may have the wrong values there. also, are all 3 burning up, or just one? you can do a draw test by placing a test light between the positive terminal and battery post; with the Ign OFF, start pulling fuses in the dash block untill the test light goes out, the last fuse you pull should be the system you focus on. repair the issue and test again.
          i guess ill try that too. thanks.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            That is a VALUABLE post! Nice job Festyboy!!
            ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
            #2 .....Cheesehead
            #3 '91 White - Donor Car
            #4 .....Montana Project
            SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
            Bought her back for $450
            Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Replacement for the fusible links can be found here with good photo.
              Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Don't overlook the search function on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
                Replacement for the fusible links can be found here with good photo.
                Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Don't overlook the search function on the forum.
                thanks for that! i think i have a bunch of those in the shop....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                  RIP 90LX

Comment

is his aqua too? older fellow? lives on 32 ave? if thats the case hes got quite the car...ive met him a handful of times.

-Scott
                    Aqua 93 L
                    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Originally posted by leapin View Post
                      is his aqua too? older fellow? lives on 32 ave? if thats the case hes got quite the car...ive met him a handful of times.
                      yup thats the guy... lol small world...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

I would guess some of his problems stem from his manual to auto swap. By the looks of things all he did was swap the tranny. He says he has to push in the clutch to start it still! the car is kind of a mish mash of two festivas.

-Scott
                        Aqua 93 L
                        Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                        White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Originally posted by leapin View Post
                          I would guess some of his problems stem from his manual to auto swap. By the looks of things all he did was swap the tranny. He says he has to push in the clutch to start it still! the car is kind of a mish mash of two festivas.
                          i was looking to buy that thing when it was for sale and was gonna do a auto-to-manual swap on it, but i thought it would have been to hard lol... just throw the 5 speed back in lol... he said nothing about swaping it to a auto tho... i guess ill have to take a good look at it...
                          Last edited by sasquatch; 03-07-2009, 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

Could be the result of a bum battery or a bad connection at one of the Hi-amp locations...battery post...starter..alternator....fusinle links.
                            Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                            The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Working...
                            X