Swapping gauge cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping gauge cluster

I've been pinching my hand trying to pull the plug on the back of my gauge trying to get it out. I'm not sure how careful I have to be with it. I don't wanna wreck anything. Any tips from your experiences? I'd just rather be safe than sorry. I'm swapping our the standard cluster for one with a tach.

If you're talking about the white and black plugs, make sure you lift that tab on the center of the back of the plug...it won't come out unless you do...after that a gentle pull or a not-so-gentle pull will do the trick.
    1989 Red L- The Baron
    www.letstalkbeatles.com
    Link to Baron Pics:
    http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
    1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

It helps if you unhook the speedo cable from where it connects in the engine bay to give you some slack
      "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Well thanks guys. I'll try that when I get back home. I can't see this stuff so I'm going by feel. btw I should have said plugs, ya, plural.

Comment

Originally posted by thered56 View Post
          Well thanks guys. I'll try that when I get back home. I can't see this stuff so I'm going by feel. btw I should have said plugs, ya, plural.
          Do what lane said...unhook the speedo cable at the tranny....then you can pull the speedo out far enough from the front and unhook the plugs....much much easier.

Remember....if you are going from regular speedo to tach cluster you need to move the speedo cable to the other side of the support you will see when remove the speedo. Then there will be plenty of room and no kinking of the cable.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

^^^^^What Geneva D said!^^^^^
            1989 Red L- The Baron
            www.letstalkbeatles.com
            Link to Baron Pics:

Comment

^^^^^ What all of ya said! haha ^^^^^

Comment

i found a nice little spot to reach up and un-hook the speedo cable from the cluster and from there you can easily reach behind the cluster to unhook the wires

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Awesome guys. Got the new one in and took 150k off my car! heheh (km's btw). Thanks!

Comment

Good job! I found it to be remarkably easy by just following these guys instructions!
                    1989 Red L- The Baron
                    www.letstalkbeatles.com
                    Link to Baron Pics:

Comment

Yes, for sure. It's so much easier when you've got the help from guys with experience. I love this site!

Comment

Ok, so I followed these steps, and my tach doesn't work. I put the white face (1990) cluster in with the tach, and it stays at 0. Is there an extra wire I need to hook up, and where would I get the wire and hook it up at? Thanks
                        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
                        89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Originally posted by doylerl View Post
                          Ok, so I followed these steps, and my tach doesn't work. I put the white face (1990) cluster in with the tach, and it stays at 0. Is there an extra wire I need to hook up, and where would I get the wire and hook it up at? Thanks
                          No extra wires. Possibly you have the plug not all the way on?
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                            i found a nice little spot to reach up and un-hook the speedo cable from the cluster and from there you can easily reach behind the cluster to unhook the wires
                            So, do you mean you found a place up behind the dash to reach up and unhook the speedo cable? Meaning you don't have to unhook it at the tranny?
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                              So, do you mean you found a place up behind the dash to reach up and unhook the speedo cable? Meaning you don't have to unhook it at the tranny?
                              I can unhook them without unhooking the cable from the tranny, done it 3 times that way now.
                              -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                              -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                              -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Working...
                              X