Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are replacement split-style CV boots made for the Festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are replacement split-style CV boots made for the Festiva?

One of mine is cracked and I want to fix it before the winter. But not if I have to take everything apart to replace the boot. In that case its duct tape all the way. :lol: I appreciate any responses, fellow sh*#box owners
    4-spd 1989 Festiva - carburated baby!

moved your post

I moved your post to the repair help forum, please select the right forum when posting.
    Thanks
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

i believe zip boots are made for everything that uses a soft type boot.

but the chances are that if you see the boot ripped the damage has been done and its cheaper to replace the driveshaft with a reman. than it is repair it.

Comment

If you catch the boots soon enough, the CV joint will still be good. I've changed probably a dozen boots on my Festivas. My first one had 280,000 miles on it when it left the family and still had factory axles. I have yet to hear a good report on any of the split boots. From what I've heard, they always leak so I would avoid these.

Duck tape isn't going to work either. Replacing the boots isn't hard, especially after you have done it a couple times. I can usually get it done in about 45 minutes. If you have a small crack and haven't lost much grease, replace the boots. If the hole is pretty big and you've lost a lot of grease, you may want to consider replacing the axle. New boot = 10-$12. Re-manufactured axle approx. $60.

I always check my boots for leaks every oil change and replace at the first sign of cracks.

Comment

split boots are pieces of junk. Don't buy them. Get the factory style replacement boot. You can get a good one with a lifetime warranty for $14.
          The Festiva Store
          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

split ones leak
            Roe:

1990 Jeep Cherokee
            2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Email: Nathan.Roe86@Gmail.com

Comment

It's not that hard to pull apart the joint, slide a new boot on, rebuild the joint. fill the boot with grease and snap on the metal clamps. Pretty much just take a little patience and a set of snap ring pliers..

Comment

it costs me $60 to replace the entire shaft with a re-manufactured one, in the long run , much much cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                X