Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starts then Stalls if im not on the accelerator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the feed line broke down and coated/filled the bowl causing starvation.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Sounds like what my new addition is doing. Runs fine most of the time, but if I coast down using engine braking, and clutch for downshift or to finish stopping, it'll go dead. Idle is rough, and sometimes just wont stay cranked. I've never torn into a carb of any kind, not particularly keen on the idea unless I know it's just "that blasted simple". What's this about jumped timing teeth? Are these interference engines that will bend valves if the timing belt goes? I got too many gremlins in this car >.<

Comment

No, they are non interference engines. No damage if the timing belt jumps/breaks. I can't imagine it jumped time. I'd start with the obvious, fuel filter, cap, button, don't know when the last time was that any of that was changed on yours.

P.S. before you start tearing that one down for a rebuild, I'd suggest checking the For Sale/ Wanted section, see if you can find a fairly cheap, but good used one, and swap the carb, and see if that solves the problem before you go to the trouble of rebuilding yours. Just a thought.
        Last edited by batstiva; 07-26-2009, 07:59 PM.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Collapsed Fuel Hose... found it this morning. the one running from the top of the tank and the unit to the thing in the driver side panel. Replaced it and runs like a top again.
          "There's no half singing in the shower, your either a rockstar or an opera diva"

88' L (Daily Driver) 88' LX EMERGENSTEVIA

Comment

how odd, glad you found it though.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              that wouldn't affect his overall power. Keith, you forgot to tell me about the loss of power... what's the condition of your cat and EGR?
              Brilliant.....The power surge could have created an obstruction in an old cat or crated a vac leak in the EGR circuit.
              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I just got the car Sat (7-19-09) so I'm pretty clueless here. Glad it's not an interference engine. My e30 bimmer is......worries me much.

The haynes book is on it's way...in the mean time, i have questions

Timing belt-How do I check it? fuel filter....location please? Cap=distributor cap? Button=___? Good idea about the carb. What's this goofy looking box and pair of hoses coming up the drivers side of the engine into the filter box with it's 2 squirrely looking hoses inside the box? Suggestions on other things i should check/try/look for? Repairs i may not even realize? Do these engines need valve adjustments? I have so many questions it's unreal. I should probably start a new thread maybe? Sorry for the hijack.

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                No, they are non interference engines. No damage if the timing belt jumps/breaks. I can't imagine it jumped time. I'd start with the obvious, fuel filter, cap, button, don't know when the last time was that any of that was changed on yours.

P.S. before you start tearing that one down for a rebuild, I'd suggest checking the For Sale/ Wanted section, see if you can find a fairly cheap, but good used one, and swap the carb, and see if that solves the problem before you go to the trouble of rebuilding yours. Just a thought.
                Last edited by odiekokee; 07-27-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X