No announcement yet.

Ignition/Sparkplugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, i changed my distributor cap and the fuel filter... still hesitating.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by clintorino View Post
      well, i changed my distributor cap and the fuel filter... still hesitating.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
      Sorry if this is a dumb question...you changed the rotor too, right? If so, I doubt you have ignition probs, although maybe there is a coil issue or ignition module issue. How many miles on the car? Some more experienced types here might say, "Well if he has x miles on it, it's likely the ignition module or coil".

Otherwise I'd say a carb problem, or fuel pump.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Is your "hesitation" just a momentary stumble or does the engine just lay down and get lazy on acceleration?

Have you checked the ignition timing?

Comment

170,000 miles and yes i changed the rotor. Also it is a momentary stumble. I would like to know how to remove the air filter box, so i could get a better look at the carb and vacuum lines but it seems very complicated. Perhaps its not. I know i dont want to remove any bolts and nuts that do not need to be removed in order to access the vac and carb. Please let me know how you would approach removing the filter box on an 89 festy.

Comment

There are some lines connected to the air filter canister. Mine is gone along with original carb so cant remember exact details. The trick is to get your permanent marker and masking tape out and label any hose you disconnect. Say you remove one hose, label that hose "A" and label where you removed it "A". Remove another and label it "B" and where you removed it "B". It will help alot. There arent lot bolts to remove air cleaner, one or two on the valve cover and a shiney looped rod and maybe another one or two. Keeping track of the hoses is more important, if you miss putting back couple of bolts the main bolt going up through middle of carburetor with big wing nut on top will hold the air cleaner on all by itself if necessary.

Comment

Momentary hesitation when you hit the gas pedal sure sounds like weak accelerator pump in the carburetor. However ignition timing bit too retarded will cause this also. Have you tested the vacuum advance on the distributor? Look for round can looking thing on top side of distributor, will have two hoses coming off it going to the carburetor. Pull both off. Find spare bit vacuum hose and put on one of the hose nipples. Block the other hose nipple with your finger. Suck on the hose. If there is significant resistance, its working and you may even hear the advance plate inside the distributor move. If little or no resistance, the diaphram inside the vacuum advance is ruptured and vacuum advance canister needs to be replaced.

Comment

Those hoses may be crossed, also. That's a dual diaphragm distributor. One hose retards timing, the other advances timiing.

Comment

Working...
                X