Coolant problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant problems

My problem is that I am getting antifreeze backed up into the overflow bottle with a lot of pressure. I recently changed the timming belt & w-pump due to the belt breaking. I never had this problem before. Im leanning towards a clogged rad cuz everything else seems to check out. Just want to confirm before I spend a bunch of $$ I dont have. OOh, its a Bp swap.
    DV8 1 :twisted:
    MAZDA MAZDA MAZDA MAZDA MAZDA MAZDA MAZDA
    2003 Protege5
    1983 Rx-7 Limited Edition
    1991 Festiva (soon to be a 121)
    1991 Chevy S10 pickup (R.I.P.)
    1990 Chevy S10 pickup Bagged on all 4 corners

I would temporarily jumper the Radiator Fan to run all the time and see if it overheats. If not, your Radiator fan may not be activating every time it needs to. Temp Switch bad or bad spot on fan motor [usually brushes worn out]. If it still overheats, I would suspect the Thermostat.

Comment

Fan seems to be working fine. I took out the t-stat and it only overheates when all the water/antifreeze blows out of the coolant system into the overflow & out of the tube. It just seems to build soooo much pressure that it has no where else to go.
      2003 Protege5

Comment

Okay, so the fan seems to be working. And the coolant is circulating, correct? I know this seems to simplistic, but when you changed the water pump, did you also change the rad cap? The reason I ask this is the system is designed to be under pressure. That's what normally allows it to operate at temps above the boiling point, without boiling. The rad cap is key to maintaining this pressure. I had the same problem you are having right now with my Dakota after I changed its water pump. Changed the cap, and no more problems. (BTW, don't know about the festiva WP, but the Dakota one said the cap should be changed when the WP is replaced) If the spring in the cap is weak, the pressure from the system pushes up on it, allowing the coolant to overflow into the bottle. If the cap is good, it will withstand the pressure, and keep the coolant in the system.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I did that too!! Brand new cap. It starts to overflow as soon as the car is turned on. Even with the cap off the antifreeze blows out of the spout with force. Even more so with acceleration.
          FYI: new pump -Beck & Arnley (reman)
          : new rad cap -Stant
          : new t-belt
          : jy fan
          : oe rad single core
          2003 Protege5

Comment

I think i found it!!!! Took out the rad & laid it flat w? the top rad hose facing up. Put the cap on and filled the rad w/ water too the brim. I noticed that the water would drip out of the spout that connected the hose and the overflow tank. IT JUST DRIPPED OUT!!!!!:disgust: Even w/ the new cap, it stil dosent seat right!! I guess the plastic just wore away. All this down time for a stupid (GRRRRRRR) problem. Thanks for the responce!! Now gunna look for a radiator now. I guess ill up grade to a auto radiator.:blob6:
            2003 Protege5

Comment

I would suggest putting the t-stat back in...

Originally posted by No Pstns
              I took out the t-stat
              Last edited by pr0nst4r; 08-13-2009, 12:52 PM.
              -Caleb
              Originally posted by cracked.com on the M203 w/ M433 HEDP
              So, for about the same price as a fully-loaded 1993 Ford Festiva, you could also wield the power to obliterate a small village in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Maybe a blown head gasket.
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Why a blown head gasket?? I dont think the t-stat has anything to do with it unless you know something i dont.
                  2003 Protege5

Comment

EuroTiva thinks it is the head gasket because you say the coolant blows (with great force) as soon as you start the engine, that means one of the cylinder is pumping into the cooling system! Check your oil for coolant contamination. We will pray it is not that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by No Pstns View Post
                      I dont think the t-stat has anything to do with it unless you know something i dont.
                      Engines are meant to run at specific temperatures. Not having a t-stat causes your engine to run at a cooler temperature for a longer time, which could exacerbate the problem or create another one. It's just not a good idea.

Have you tried flushing the coolant lines to remove potential air? Could also be a bunk belt on your water pump causing it to not spin enough.
                      -Caleb
                      Originally posted by cracked.com on the M203 w/ M433 HEDP
                      So, for about the same price as a fully-loaded 1993 Ford Festiva, you could also wield the power to obliterate a small village in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Working...
                      X