92 Festiva runs like s#!t????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 Festiva runs like s#!t????

I just bought a 92 Festiva with a cracked head. It ran good, but wanted to stall at idle.

I replaced the entire engine with a junkyard engine (90000 mi). I used all of the stuff from my original engine, the exhaust manifold , air box, distributor, intake & fuel injection.

I put in a new timing belt, tensioner & spring, new water pump, new o2 sensor, new plugs, wires, cap & rotor, new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing & pilot bearing, new thermostat, and radiator hoses.

The car starts right up, but it idles rough and when I push the gas pedal down more than a little bit when I try to drive it, the car dies down to idle speed. If I punch the gas when the car is in neutral, it stumbles then revs up. The car is also blowing a little black smoke. It appears to be running mega rich. I removed the air box and the car started, but when I touched the gas, it stalled immediately. My car is a 5 speed with no a/c. The engine I put in was from an automatic with air.

I pulled the plugs to make sure that I gapped them correctly and they are dead on. The firing order is correct as well, and the timing is dead on.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is causing the car to run like this?

Thanks,
    Bryan

i whould check for a bad vacum leak if i were you mine was running that bad when i got it and thats all it was for mine
    1989 Ford Ranger 177 2.9
    2001 hyundai accent 1.6 DOHC

Comment

One of the first things I did was check the intake for a vacuum leak and there was no leak.

Bryan

Comment

Make sure you put the timing belt on correctly. If it is off one tooth it will run bad.
        The Festiva Store
        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

You of course swapped the TPS from the manual motor to the Auto right???

Did you do a compression test on the wrecker motor, one thing I suspect you might have is a burnt exhaust valve ...

failing that, check that your VAF is moving freely.
          Ice Racing is Still a Black art!
          1989 B6 Twin Webber Stud racer (mine)
          1990 B3 Stock Auto racer Welded diff (daughters)
          1991 B3 Stock Rubber class racer (wifeys)
          1993 B6 mustang embarrassing road car (mine)
          1992 B3 Parts car
          Assorted 323's

Comment

Working...
          X