New 93 L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 93 L

I got the car home, I took of the clutch cable and started it and put it in reverse. the gears did grind a small bit. I made it go into reverse. it does move, but it seems as if it was an automatic. more gas i give, the more it moves. But does nothing unless i give it gas...any thought? Is the clutch just that bad, possibly thow out fork or....toasted trans? I might mention the guy told me it had a new battery, and looks like it. however it does start slow before it does finally fire, dont know if this has any bearing on it or not

B
    Last edited by Lil-Red; 11-06-2009, 09:13 PM.
    In the 90's we had Clinton in office. We also had Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama in office and we have no Hope and no Cash.
    God grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change, strength to change what I cannot accept, and wisdom to hide the bodies of those who piss me off!:-)
    This is NOT an abandoned vehicle

If it has sat for a while, the brakes may be freezing up a little bit which would cause you to have to give it more gas to move. As far as it turning over slow, maybe something draining the battery, or a dirty / corroded fusible link under the hood.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Clutch is smoked.
      '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
      '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
      '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
      '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
      '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
      '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
      '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

try adjusting the clutch if the adjuster is out it is most probably running on the rivets, as to the slow starting, that"s an enigma in itself, usually is a part charged battery, but it could be something else, the starter motor draws around 200amp to turn the engine so it will drain pretty quickly so I suggest you buy a charger and give it a good overnight charge first and when you reconnect the battery terminals make sure they are clean...to clean them use baking soda and sprinkle on the terminals and pour hot water on, just make sure the battery vent caps are on...a fully charged battery is a good start point .
        If it is still slow and if are reasonably competent with the electrics you can drive the starter directly from the battery...reason? because the starter solenoid may have bad contacts inside, other reasons are a faulty starter motor and that gets complicated as you need some skill to strip down and a cheap second hand unit may be an option, basically its a process of elimination...staring with the battery...if you hear a click click when you try to start that definatey is a flat battery
        Last edited by sanjeet; 11-06-2009, 11:49 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
        "all I ask is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy":simon:

Comment

well, yes yes and yes. i tore into it last night. I removed the trans to find the passenger side seal long gone. SOOOO no fluid or a long time. When the trans came out, i could shake it and have it make the noise of a piggy bank with 2 quarters in it. Long story short....Lil Red became Donor Red. Trans, shafts, spindles, brakes, tires and what ever else i can find. 8pm to 5am is long enough for one night. Wifes home at 3, then back to it
          Last edited by Lil-Red; 11-07-2009, 12:29 PM.
          In the 90's we had Clinton in office. We also had Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama in office and we have no Hope and no Cash.
          God grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change, strength to change what I cannot accept, and wisdom to hide the bodies of those who piss me off!:-)
          This is NOT an abandoned vehicle

Comment

Working...
          X