Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weired engine problem on cold start up. Help needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weired engine problem on cold start up. Help needed please.

I have had a good search through other posts and some come close to my problem, but not answered it.

The car in question is a 1993 Kia Pride 1.3 LX 5dr.

Now if it's cold or damp the car has trouble to keep running. It will fire-up (most times) and rev up to 2000rpm. Then it will have a mind of it's own, revs go down then up then down then it will cut out. If i try and pull away it will die down and stall, no matter how hard i try to keep it going. And if i blip the throttle it will die a little then rev up like it should do in the first place.
    I've changes the usual things, dizzy, HT leads, plugs, air filter and put some carb cleaner through the fuel system, but still no joy :cry: . The only time it runs like it should is when it's warmed up.

I think it might have something to do with the auto choke, but i'm not sure what to do. A friend of mine said it might have a vacuum leak, but surely this would effect the engine, even after it has warmed up!?!

Sorry to go on, but this is really annoying me, and this forum is the best i've come across for these cars. So any help would be gratefully receieved. BTW, i'm from the UK.
    KIA Pride 1996 1.3i LX 5dr 5speed.

Have you changed the spark plug wires?

My car, which is roughly the same as yours, eats spark plug wires. I have similar symptoms on damp days.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Forgot to add - check the throttle cable!!!

I had all sorts of problems that were caused by the cable binding.

Regards,

Tim
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Hi Pazz! And welcome! We'll do our best to help.

I have to assume its carbed, because you referenced the choke. It could be a small vacuum leak. The idea of the choke is to limit the amount of air entering the cylinders, causing to run overly rich. It does this because a cold engine will condesate fuel in the cylinders, and liquid fuel will not burn, only vaporized fuel. So, it has to be insanely rich for a period of time, until it warms enough to properly vaporize the fuel at the normal air/fuel ratio. A small vacuum leak would cause cold driveability isses, which would lessen or disappear as the engine temperature comes up.

and Tim, I was about to suggest the same thing (plug wires), but then I saw he already did (HT leads, "High Tension").
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
          and Tim, I was about to suggest the same thing (plug wires), but then I saw he already did (HT leads, "High Tension").

Oops - overlooked that one...

Pazz -

What you've described is pretty common among carbed cars.

Over the course of dinner I pondered over your dilemma, and realised my car does the exact same thing when cold.

When I sense the engine's about to stall, I push in the clutch, rev the engine a bit, and let the clutch out again.

The ride's a bit jerky for a while but then smooths out as the engine warms up.

Regards,

Tim
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Sounds like a choke issue to me. Next time it's cold, pull the air cleaner off, start the car, then fiddle with the choke, placing it in different positions and see if you can make the car idle better when cold. It may be as simple as cleaning the linkages with some carb cleaner.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the replies.

Do how would i check for a vacuum leak? Is it a simple case of inspecting all the rubber pipes, to see if one has a split in it?

And, gdawgs, i'll have a go at what you've suggested, as we're having some good hard frosts this week. I even covered the bonnet (hood) with a blanket, and believe it or not this seems to help keep the revs up on a cold start.

Thanks once again, pazz :wink:

Comment

The best way to locate a vaccum leak ,spray the area with carb cleaner around the intake to head area ,carb,vac lines, when you find the leak if it has one the idle will be greatly affected you will hear the difference in it when you come across it ,this will help you pin point it rather than visually looking at every piece good luck.
                ------------------------------------------------
                The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

thanks for all the replies.

after finding that loads of things were wrong with the beast................

........ i just gone out and got another one!

Comment

Working...
                  X