Coolant leak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant leak.

I have a new coolant leak on the right side of the motor (the side facing the grill) It is where the two metal coolant tubes connect. Im not sure what they are called but what would be the best fix for this? Thanks
    Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

sounds like you may be talking about the bypass joint... there is an o ring in that joint that comes with the water pump, but often doesnt get replaced... not sure if you can take apart w/o disconnecting from the water pump... i'm doing water pump now-and that o ring. ill let you know what i find... lol you could always try jbweld if you are never planning to take that apart. i hear people have sealed cracked blocks with that stuff!
    light a man a fire and he'll stay warm for the night.
    light a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.:faroah:

Comment

Replace the o-ring..........do it right once or find time to do it twice.
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

can I buy just the o-ring? Or should I replace the water pump.
        Tyler

Comment

Any auto parts store will have the Oring you need. Just bring the old one with you to match up.
          Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
          - Unknown
          I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
          - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
          - Bumper Sticker

Comment

and you can pull it w/o touching the pump...
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

sweet. Thanks guys this seems like a fairly easy fix. Do i need to unbolt the left metal connector from the block or can I just pry the two metal hoses apart?
              Tyler

Comment

I would say to unbolt it. Make sure to get the fastener over on the driver side also. If the female part of the coupling is rusted beyond recognition you have a couple of options. One is to find a good used one. The other may be to cut the tube and simply slip on a piece of heater hose in place of the joint. Hope this helps.

Comment

thanks for the feedback guys. Taking care of it tomorrow.
                  Tyler

Comment

well....as i was trying to slip the female part off of the male part of the hose, the male part broke inside the female piece. Lol. Gonna try to scavenge one off my buddies junker.
                    Tyler

Comment

ouch, man! just finished mine... you may consider(not sure if this is safe for coolant system) spraying some penetrating fluid in there first, one that has capilary action, cus mine wuz rusted pretty good... glad i changed it though the ring was shot. wasnt leaking yet though. good luck! i had to take off the exhaust down pipe to get at the bypass bolt cuz i could not find my 14 mm wrench!!! or was it 12... either way! cheers

Comment

^fixed!
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^Yep! Havent had time to test it yet however. Been working all day and im too pooped afterwards to care. Thanks again for comin up and helping, we shoulda took pictures of the mini-one-running-car-meet lol
                          Tyler

Comment

sweet man good luck!

Comment

well ran it tonight for a while and drove it around, doesnt leak at all! Got all the tires fully inflated and all lugs on, tightened down the rear wheel bearings which were very loose, and noticed something very funny about the lights. We took it for a spin on the road and it lights everything up perfectly, but the lights are crossed haha. Ill tweak that tomorrow....
                              Tyler

Comment

Working...
                              X