Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG it fixed itself!!

I am in shock.

I didn't drive the aspire all winter, thinking that it was trashed. So finally i am ready to donate it to Goodwill, get it all cleaned out, etc., and just for poops and giggles I decide to start it up. Took a few tries (it hadn't been run for months), but it eventually starts. And lo and behold, the transmission noise is gone!! Shifts smoothly, goes into all gears!! WTF??

I guess putting in the new fluid and letting it sit somehow did the trick?? Needless to say, i am now questioning my decision to donate it. Anyone interested in a parts car?

Flabbergasted that this little car just won't die!!
    Last edited by Pu241; 04-26-2010, 07:11 PM. Reason: language

Comment

to tell u the truth u can use either atf or gear lube in the trans thats your choice of lube it really doesn't matter i have gear lube in mine so for the extra mile it goes a long way
      FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Originally posted by 1988redfordfestiva View Post
        to tell u the truth u can use either atf or gear lube in the trans thats your choice of lube it really doesn't matter i have gear lube in mine so for the extra mile it goes a long way
        Attempting translation ......

working.....

OK, you may have used gear lube, no issue with that.
        But, when giving advise to newbies please add the fact that Mazda per Ford recommends the use ATF.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

to be exact in the all-data Mazda KIA and most of the festiva says use gear lube or atf transmission fluid but the humming noise from the clutch being depressed sounds like the trow out bearing or either your pressure plate teeth are worn causing the grinding noise i will make a video for the enjoyment of the festy crew so it can be a sticky for the 5 speed trans gona run to go do it and add it asap
          Last edited by 1988redfordfestiva; 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM.
          FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
            Attempting translation ......

working.....

OK, you may have used gear lube, no issue with that.
            But, when giving advise to newbies please add the fact that Mazda per Ford recommends the use ATF.
            +1 You also have to consider whether or not someone might actually live in a "winter" state when suggesting they use something like 85 weight gear lube even thought the festiva/aspire manual states "atf"! Mobil 1 ftw
            97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
            CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
            Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

I've used gear oil in my '90L for the 120,000 miles I've owned it. When I bought it I spent a good deal of time at the library reading any manual I could find that related to it. In that process I came across reference to a Mazda application of the transmission which recommended gear oil. I figured if the people who designed it thought that was best, I had no cause to doubt them.

My guess is that Ford mainly wanted the Festiva to bring its fleet mileage figures up so that they could sell more of their heavy, expensive, fast, and wasteful "real" cars, SUVs and trucks. If ATF brought those number up,even a little, why not?

Then as now, they wanted money, money, money, and more money, and weren't really interested in what would be best for their customers or for the country as a whole. They knew that through advertising they could convince most insecure men that their internal weakness could be compensated for by the power and speed of their more expensive models. I doubt any of them recognized the design excellence of the Festiva that, to this day, make it the ideal embodiment of basic transportation for the civilized world.

John Gunn
              Coronado, CA
              John Gunn
              Coronado, CA

Improving anything
              Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Thanks, everyone for your advice. I have posted the car in the for sale forum with pics, $500 obo. Hopefully someone will pick it up!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGunn View Post
                  I've used gear oil in my '90L for the 120,000 miles I've owned it. When I bought it I spent a good deal of time at the library reading any manual I could find that related to it. In that process I came across reference to a Mazda application of the transmission which recommended gear oil. I figured if the people who designed it thought that was best...
                  John Gunn
                  Coronado, CA
                  See my point...a view from another "warm state"
                  97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                  CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                  Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

I taped a piece of old garden hose to the end of my oil filler funnel to fill the transmission. Add just a little bit at a time until it comes up to the mark.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

replace your throwout bearing before giving up on the car.

and what made you chissle off the speedo gear?
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                      X