No announcement yet.

Surging, irregular idle, random no power on accelaration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now that i think about it, it looks like the coolant temp sensor but why would it cause my car to freak out?
    Last edited by Ephet; 07-09-2010, 06:50 AM.
    1990 Ford Festiva 196k Automatic (Gone) " It's a small car so you gotta drive it like your ticked off... Small cars need to be driven fast"
    :spam1:is delicious

Comment

fail-safe feature? a really stupid one if it is.
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

threw it into limp mode....how is it a coolant sensor....no coolant flows through those intake runners.

Originally posted by Kofkof_00 View Post
        I plan on updating this thread with everything I try. :S
        I still think it is your distributor.....coil pickup and crank position sensor is inside of it.
        Last edited by festivaWES; 07-09-2010, 09:23 AM.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        ---------------------------------------------------
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Originally posted by festivaWES View Post
          threw it into limp mode....how is it a coolant sensor....no coolant flows through those intake runners.
          i dont know but the sensor i keep finding online looks just like it
          1990 Ford Festiva 196k Automatic (Gone) " It's a small car so you gotta drive it like your ticked off... Small cars need to be driven fast"

Comment

Heres proof of the coolant temp censor is causing my car to freak out

The coolant Tempurature censor is what is causing my problems and heres proof
            Last edited by Ephet; 07-10-2010, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephet View Post
              This is what is causing my Festiva to run the way it was
              Originally posted by Justin View Post
              Sounds similar to a CTS Sensor going bad. This Sensor Uses Most of your Electrical Volts on Starting/Idling up until Operating Temp. If you have a Ohm Test Gauge hook it up to the terminals across the sensor after uplugging the connector should be cold (not started)(2000 to 3000 ohms) & once the engine reaches operating temperature (180Degrees)(200-400 ohms). Its the best explanation I can Come up w/on Your issues.
              Originally posted by festivaWES View Post

I still think it is your distributor.....coil pickup and crank position sensor is inside of it.
              That sensor is the Coolant Temp Sensor which monitors the coolant passage temp & sends a signal to the Engine Computor. However, Disty Could still be the Problem but I recommend he try the cheaper route & replace the sensor first. I wonder if he's tried to see if all the wires are getting spark?

Originally posted by Ephet View Post
              Heres proof of the coolant temp censor is causing my car to freak out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKqtcENg5R0
              That is a Coolant Temp Sensor though so he is right & does affect Motor as Seen here in the video.
              Last edited by Justin; 07-10-2010, 07:05 PM.

Comment

CTS can cause ecu issues simply because the sensors sends temp readings to the ecu in order to adjust timing. When a car is cold, engine timing is advanced in order to warm the engine to normal opperating temps. Thats why most people notice there car runs better just after a starting it. Once normal the ecu will level out the timing and it will adjust depending on the load the engine is going through unless you have something else failing.

I went round and round with CTS on a few isuzus and DSM's.

Not sure but isnt the CTS on the thermostat housing?
                Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 09-28-2010, 10:32 PM.
                89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Working...
                X