Question about key(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about key(s)?

When I bought my 93 it didn't come with keys. I have to crank it with a screw driver and I can't lock the doors. This is starting to kinda suck because I can't really carry anything of value in the car and I feel like a total redneck/car thief every time I crank the car...seriously, I'm just waiting for a cop to see me cranking it with the shorty screwdriver stuck in the ignition cylinder that hangs down from the column and getting thrown in the back of the patrol car until I can show him MY name on the registration.

My question is: Did the Festiva come with one key that operates both the ignition switch and the door locks or did it have 2? One for the ignition and a separate key for the doors and hatch?

I'm curious because I'd like to maybe find a parts car with key(s) that I can get the switch and lock cylinders out of to replace mine.
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

The key for the ignition is the same for the doors. that being said, you can take a key set out of several makes of import cars and make them work. the locks in the doors and hatch are just held in the hole with one of those common U clip deals. The ignition is held around the column in a cradle that is tricky to remove as one piece...you slot the rivets into standard screws and unfasten them. The 1989 mazda 323 i was interested in my last junkyard trip had a key in its ignition, and i thought about scoring a key set but passed it up that day.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Do you know if any of the import ignition cylinders are interchangeable with the Festy? I may have something in the yard that I can score some lock sets out of for the doors and hatch....and maybe the switch if it will interchange. It's no big deal if I have to have separate keys for the ignition and the doors. Everything else I drive has separate keys, except for the motorcycles of course LOL

I'm familiar with those wonderful rivets. I ran into that on a Triumph I had to replace a switch in a few years back

WWZD
      Zulu Ministries

Comment

contact TONYCASH I'm almost sure he got some that he can sell to you.

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

Originally posted by Maxtiva View Post
          contact TONYCASH I'm almost sure he got some that he can sell to you.
          he has 3 or 4 ignition cylinders for sale. You can get a key made for your locks by taking out the passenger door cylinder and take it to a lock smith. It has the code that they need to make new keys.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Or you can place a want ad in the FS section for a matching set of locks and keys.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
              Or you can place a want ad in the FS section for a matching set of locks and keys.
              Good Idea. I'll try that first. May be easier and cheaper. I'll use the locksmith as a backup plan (thanks Genenva...I was wondering where the lock codes were located).

Thanks guys

You can get replacement lock cylinders with keys new from AutoZone, but it's only for the doors so I would still have to deal with the issue of the lift gate

Another option I was looking at was the possibility of doing a keyless entry system which has a pretty high "cool factor" and the system is fairly inexpensive
              Last edited by Zanzer; 01-01-2010, 01:30 PM.

WWZD
              Zulu Ministries

Comment

zanzar....someone mentioned it only cost them about 20 bucks for the lock smith....

when you get a chance...add you location to your profile....will help in the long run and we like to see where everyone lives...that way we know where to get Festy parts when we need them....lol
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                  zanzar....someone mentioned it only cost them about 20 bucks for the lock smith....

when you get a chance...add you location to your profile....will help in the long run and we like to see where everyone lives...that way we know where to get Festy parts when we need them....lol
                  Sweet! I'll have to call around and get some pricing. That's not bad at all!

Just fixed my locale when I posted in the For Sale section

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

i got lucky at the JY, grabbed 4 keys from 4 different festies, got home and 3 of the 4 opened all locks/doors and started the car, 4th one didnt work for anything. saved me a trip to the locksmith =P

Comment

Interesting. I rarely find keys in my junkyards. I forgot that festy keys and locks wear and have the same Toyota effect.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

here is one Tony has for sale....

89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Just got back from the locksmith, got 2 keys for 20 bucks I can lock my doors now WOO HOO!

Thanks GenevaDirt for the info on the lock cylinder numbers

Got an ignition cylinder on the way from TONYCASH so hopefully this is another issue I can cross off my list soon.

Thanks for all the help guys

WWZD
                          Zulu Ministries

Comment

find some people with festiva keys, i know my key works on other peoples festiva and theres works on mine. i had a set from my old 88 and it worked too

Comment

You can also use center punch to "walk" those headless bolts out of ign cylinder to column, still a PITA.
                              186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
                              1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
                              1992 aqua L (agua)
                              1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

Working...
                              X