gear stick sloppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear stick sloppy

can someone tell me what i need to replace to take the slop out of my gear stick in a 1997 festiva 5 speed manual
    regards greg

chances are the bushings where the linkage bolts to the transmission are shot, they're relatively easy to change

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

It can also be the bushings just under the gear stick itself where it connects to the rod to the transmission. I know that is what was wrong with mine, and it was only 1 bolt and 1 nut to remove. The replacement bushings can be had at Ford / Mazda dealers, or you can use a door hinge shim kit from your local parts store. As far as the ones by the transmission, I think they are the same way, but I'm not 100% sure. Good luck and welcome to FF.com!
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
      89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

There are some pics in this thread.

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25266

........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

Thank you for finding that jmye. I was looking for the pictures on my camera to add them to this thread, but that works just as well. This fix helps more than you would think. It was like night and day.
          The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
          89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Working...
          X