X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help

Have a 1990 Festiva.

Yesterday i smelled gas.
    Looked at the filter i replaced in May 2009 which looks like the picture I attached below. The filter was wet at the top and i could see gas dripping. Went out purchased a new filter and replaced it.
    Not being a mechanic or knowing anything more to do..i tried starting it and while the car would crank, it wouldnt start. I could see the new filter filled with gas however there still is a slow drip.
    Well i guess i tried to start it too many times as now while i turn the key, see lights on the dash and can hear the fan...the car wont crank. Not sure if i have ruined the starter.

I recall last year someone saying disconnect the battery and depressurize the system prior to the new filter install. Not knowing how to do that..and not doing it probably is causing my problem.

Any suggestions ?

If you car has an automatic transmission, move the shifter to N and see if it will turn over.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
      If you car has an automatic transmission, move the shifter to N and see if it will turn over.
      From his pic the tranny is a manual.

The filter you have in the pic is not OEM and I'm not certain it is rated for the pressure from the fuel pump.
      It is possible that the filter even relatively new could have collected enough crud that the internal pressure has comprised the filter housing.
      Or, again due to increased pressure from a clogging filter the tube connection into the filter from the pump is leaking.
      I'd get an OEM filter.
      That said I know at least one member here runs a similar filter without issues.

Give some though to adding your location to your profile as someone in your area may be in the area and can help you with this.

Go to User CP (top of the Page in the blue bar)
      Control Panel(left side of screen)
      Edit Profile-scroll to bottom of page to location.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Any members live close to Northern Westchester County, N.Y. - that might be able to help ?

Comment

As far as depressurizing the fuel system, that's as simple as popping the electrical connector at the fuel pump inertia switch, starting the car and letting it run until it dies. When you are done working, reconnect power to the switch, reset it if it popped out, and you're good to go.

As far as the car not wanting to crank, I'd be willing to bet the battery is too drained to try it. See if the car will start with a jump.

As to the fuel leak, where exactly is the gas dripping from? At the filter? Or farther up? It's possible that the filter you bought has a smaller diameter nipple than OEM, or your clamps are worn out. Checked Advance Auto's website, and the filters they list come with either 3/8" or 5/16" nipples. Possible you've got the smaller nipple, with the larger hose.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

The previous owner of my festiva put in a aftermarket filter that is inline and it works great. Granted my festy is an 88 carb, I don't know if that makes a difference though.
            Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

Originally posted by brickdog2000 View Post
              The previous owner of my festiva put in a aftermarket filter that is inline and it works great. Granted my festy is an 88 carb, I don't know if that makes a difference though.
              I put an aftermarket inline fuel filter on my car and it swelled up and almost exploded, I've heard guys say there aftermarket plastic inline fuel filters have blown up and started a fire. I think it is ok for carbed cars but for fuel injected the fuel system is higher pressure causing them to ballon and explode. Get a metal OEM one, my $.02.
              '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
                I put an aftermarket inline fuel filter on my car and it swelled up and almost exploded, I've heard guys say there aftermarket plastic inline fuel filters have blown up and started a fire. I think it is ok for carbed cars but for fuel injected the fuel system is higher pressure causing them to ballon and explode. Get a metal OEM one, my $.02.
                Don't know about the blowing up and starting a fire part, but you are correct about the different pressures involved.

Per my Hayne's
                Carbie pressure is between 2 and 5 psi.
                FI pressure is between 38 and 44 psi.

Comment

The filter in that pic is a typical clear-plastic carby filter. Get the OEM metal one for the FI cars, since FI has higher pressure.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
                    Makes sense since your fuel pump is inside the tank and ours runs off the engine. So you get the pressure from the pump to your fuel filter where my filter is before my pump.
                    Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

More questions...

Thanks for all of the responses, much appreciated.

Mr. Batstiva - you asked where is the leak ? It is located at the top of the new oem plastic filter..looks like the ends of each tube/hose are wet...and the top of the filter gets wet. Funny u guys mention about the OEM not being able to handle the pressure..as it seemed the oem filter i replaced last May...the center almost looks like a little mound exists at the top.

On Ebay i see: a number of 'can' type filters, a Fram G6679 and others (posting pics below) Is this what im after ? If so i can order this from Advanced Auto..

Also, if this is the correct filter...just want to be sure i connect the tubes/hoses properly..looking at the pic. does the hose coming from the gas tank hook up at the bottom and the hose going to the engine connect at the top ? Seems logical.

Sorry for all the dumb questions...im limited in this mechanic space...and am just looking to save $$ where possible.

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Hmm, Mr. Batstiva, I could get used to that. I think that's how I want everyone here to address me from now on. NOT

Did a quick check on Fram's website, and that is the correct Fram part number: Fram G6679

Did a quick check of Advance, and they don't show that particular filter as being available. Don't know what you might find if you went into a store location, I just searched their website.
                        Also checked NAPA's website, and found this part number : FIL 3280. If you have a NAPA near you, you should be able to go in and order that part, which appears to be correct.

In answer to your other question, the filter goes in with the wide lip side down and the tube at the top angled towards the engine. If that makes sense.

Judging by where you are finding gas, I would say that it is the filter's inability to handle the FI's fuel pressure that is causing your leak.

Don't know about the Fram filter, and what you found on Ebay, but the NAPA one is about 29 bucks. Hope all this helps.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Car has been running well for the last couple of weeks since i replaced the gas filter with the FRAM G6679. I also replaced the old tired battery. When completing the above two steps car started right up. Only issue since, was last night first time i had used the car in a few days.. i drove it about 20 miles. Left the car for about 40 minutes, went back to start it and heard the fan had dash lights but no crank. Opened the hood checked wires, and battery cables. No problem there. Reopened the hood and in my best novice do it yourselfer way...i tapped on the starter with my hand. Tried starting the car for the third time and it eventually cranked. Im just wondering if my starter could be going. When i returned home let the car sit for the same amount of time and then it started right back up. I try to be a do it yourselfer...is replacing the starter an easy job ? Not sure this could be the prob. Thanks again
                          Last edited by ffd129; 02-19-2010, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Check all your grounds. Follow the negative battery cable down to where it is connected to the trans and make sure it's tight and clean. The bolt is a 12mm too.
                            -Greg
                            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                            Redneck Engineer
                            FOTY - '09
                            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Working...
                            X