New and desperate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and desperate.

First off thank you for all the informative reading on this site!

Second, I have a 92 festiva that needs a lot of love. I'm not the best mechanic but can figure most out. Unfortunately, I haven't the funds to fully restore the miracle of nature but I'll die trying damnit. I'm looking for a 92 festiva ignition switch.

I get lights and that's it. I turn the key and all you hear is the sound of the key turning. Nothing, zip, ziltch. No lights to the dash, no radio no nothing. I've boiled it down to the ignition switch after purchasing a new battery to no prevail.

So, I call for the part but can't find anyone who carries it and all said find a salvage yard.

Now I know what you're thinking, I don't think of you as a salvage yard but a fellow festiva owner who can help another out. Please help me find a switch or give me advice as to what other problems could cause this. I thank you much

hi i'm also new here if i might there's a 3 wire box near the battery did u check the female plug in there they might be corroded i just had the smae issue with mine and some how figure it out anyways good luck .....
    FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Hello and welcome to both of you!! This is the best Festiva site on the internet.
      It would help if you would add your location to your info. There are a lot of people that can/will help if you are close by them.
      Welcome to the site!
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Another idea..

Also new..

Am in the country and my reply timed out.. getting into the city.

Something that you might want to look at.. I don't know where you are exactly, but you're probably not up here in Canada. But there's a chain of stores up this way called Princess Auto. They sell a generic four terminal ignition switch and also alligator clips (about $13 CDN total for both). If there's a similar store in your area, you could pick up the generic switch and clips (or probes), unplug the plug from the back of the Festiva ignition switch, and once you have it wired properly, try turning it over. If it's the Festiva switch, it should fire right up.

Wish I'd found these a few years back.. the set I bought should make troubleshooting a bit easier.

Btw, I'm in the same boat as you.. limited time and budget to fix my Festiva, and am looking to get mine going as a daily driver as well. They're nice little cars, I first had one recommended to me about 7 years back by a lady that drove hers to work at the hotel at Sun Peaks Ski Resort (near Kamloops BC). And some of those hairpin turns then I'd imagine would've been a blast in the Festiva. But she swore by the car, drove it every day to work, down to Vancouver, all over the place. So she's why I now have one..
        Carz:
        '09 Ford F-150
        '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
        '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
        225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
        ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

Btw, switch looks like this:
          Carz:
          '09 Ford F-150
          '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL

Comment

i have a question the 3 wire box i remade the clips with wire is there a place u can buy new ones ?
            FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

You can change the wire fusible links for cartridge type. Someone had posted a picture or two showing the cartridges in place.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                You can change the wire fusible links for cartridge type. Someone had posted a picture or two showing the cartridges in place.
                Yeah, here is a link for the pics.http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...=fusable+links
                '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by jbeamcoke View Post

Second, I have a 92 festiva that needs a lot of love. I'm not the best mechanic but can figure most out. Unfortunately, I haven't the funds to fully restore the miracle of nature but I'll die trying damnit. I'm looking for a 92 festiva ignition switch.

I get lights and that's it. I turn the key and all you hear is the sound of the key turning. Nothing, zip, ziltch. No lights to the dash, no radio no nothing. I've boiled it down to the ignition switch after purchasing a new battery to no prevail.

So, I call for the part but can't find anyone who carries it and all said find a salvage yard.

Now I know what you're thinking, I don't think of you as a salvage yard but a fellow festiva owner who can help another out. Please help me find a switch or give me advice as to what other problems could cause this. I thank you much
                  It could be something other than your ignition switch. There is a large gauge white wire up near your battery, if you have a bad connection there it will behave as you have described. Could also be a fuseable link. Do you have an auto or manual tranny ?

Originally posted by darrenryall View Post
                  Btw, switch looks like this:
                  That doesnt look right to me.

Originally posted by 1988redfordfestiva View Post
                  i have a question the 3 wire box i remade the clips with wire is there a place u can buy new ones ?
                  I could sell you a replacement. Ive got several extras.
                  sigpic
                  The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                  https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                  Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Almost positive that it is the middle of the three wires (fusible links) on the strut tower by the battery. Exact symptoms when that fuse blows.
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Wow, Thank you for all the responses! As soon as I get light outside I will look for those fuses. Although, I don't recall seeing a box like that next to my battery and in that pic it looks like right there next to the windshield fluid reservoir.

And I do apologize for not really introducing myself and location. I'm Jim from Minnesota and Freshtiva my festiva is a manual transmission.

I hope it's as simple as a fuse. I'll let you all know what I come up with.

Comment

whelp, tried the cartridge fuses and still nothing

I'm lost

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                          That doesnt look right to me.
                          In this case, I was recommending a test ignition switch, not a permanent replacement. The test switch you could wire with alligator clips or probes, and you'd plug them into the holes on the plug that connects to your switch. You then try starting the car with the test ignition switch, and if things run right.. you know the issue is the original switch.

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                          I could sell you a replacement. Ive got several extras.
                          That's the best option.
                          Carz:
                          '09 Ford F-150
                          '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL

Comment

A little more info on your car might help. 92, auto or manual tranny? Did the car used to start, and now it doesn't, or did you buy it not running?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

And I do apologize for not really introducing myself and location. I'm Jim from Minnesota and Freshtiva my festiva is a manual transmission.
                              My bad, yes I did buy it in running condition and have been using it for almost 5 years every day. Suddenly the life was just sucked out of it. Kind of lost without it. I'm spending seventy plus for gas now a week driving my truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X