fuel vapor box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel vapor box?

I was putting my gas tank back in the other day and its been so long since i took it out. My question is Im trying to figure out where the 4 little lines go? I know 2 go to the nipples coming out of the tank and one goes down for the line on the tank but theres another one that has a short metal piece, about 2 inches or so coming out of it. I cant seem to find where it goes... Prolly a dumb question and something I over looked but I'd appreciate the help. thanks.
    91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
    00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
    88 gtx
    74 torino- enduro car.

anyone know?
    91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
    88 gtx
    74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

Originally posted by niklid05 View Post
      anyone know?
      can you post a picture of which line you are lookin at and I will see if i can tell off my 93

Comment

Sorry about the blurry picture, but its the line laying on the filler neck tube. Pretty sure the other three hoses are right. I just cant seem to figure out where that last one goes.

91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
        88 gtx
        74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

When I had my car apart it wasn't hooked up to anything, I don't think it has a place for connection.
          '90 LX

Comment

According to the manual, you have a pressurized line, a return line, an evap line (for fuel vapors to go to the charcoal canister) and an overflow line that goes near the filler cap.
            The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

That may be the line that goes into a rubber grommet in the floor and vents to the space above the axle bracket.

On my '93GL, I had to chisel a larger hole in that area to get a socket on a corroded axle nut that was just spinning around inside that area.

Remove most of your lines there and see if you see that hole in your floor. I'm pretty sure it would be a grommet of some kind, but it's been awhile.

Karl
              Last edited by Safety Guy; 04-07-2010, 02:10 PM.
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I believe you are right... there was a square grommet right underneath the filler neck. Here is a pic.

Now heres another question can I just remove that canister in the engine bay and this thing inside the 1/4 panel and just cap the nipples on the tank?
                91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                88 gtx
                74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

That's what I want to know...My mechanic took it out to make room to fix a brake line and apparently lost it and plugged the hoses, and never told me...I know it catches the fuel vapors from the tank, and a solenoid valve opens under certain conditions to send them in the engine to be burned. I don't know if the ECU takes this into account to calculate the fueling from the injectors and if it messes with driveability though, since my car already had idling issues before that...
                  The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

also guilty

I am also guilty of removing all the lines and not tagging anything.

Could someone please tell me where the following lines go:

left chamber

right chamber

rear middle valve (hose goes straight down)

Thanks.

Comment

needless weight

Has anyone just simply thrown out the vapour separator and capped the nipples on the fuel tank?

As far as I am concerned, it is just needless extra weight.

Comment

I know its old but bump. I wanna know if anyone has gotten rid of the canister in the engine bay and the vapor thing bravekozak is talking about.
                        91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                        88 gtx
                        74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

threw it out

I threw it out and simply put two plugs on the fuel tank.
                          I took apart the sexy red gas cap I got from the junk yard and removed the spring and seal from inside the cap so it vented. The operation only took about two minutes. Problem solved.

Comment

pics

Only two plugs were used. The third wasn't needed to join the evap to the line leading to the charcoal canister, which I also discarded. We have a "modified" category for emissions checking with a different engine up here. It looks pretty bare without all those hoses. I even threw out that little lip protector for the evap hoses.
                            The warning message to remove the gas cap slowly does not apply any more since I removed the spring and seal from inside. The black push button is useless. I just like the red color.
                            I am preparing to chisel the inner weld nuts off to make way for the Millenia gas popper actuator. But that story is for another thread.
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 10-21-2010, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X