Cleaning fuel injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning fuel injectors

I'm almost ready to swap a BP on my Festiva. Got the head back from the machine shop and assembled most of the engine this weekend. I wanted to clean the fuel injectors and make sure they work okay before putting them on. Checked the resistance and they were all fine. Still wanted to clean them out and make sure they operate well. So I ended seeing a video of someone cleaning his injectors and thought is was a clever idea so decided to something similar. I used two test leads with alligator clips that will connect to a car battery and a fuel injector plug I got at a JY. Spliced a switch on one of the leads to turn on injector on and off (open/close). Then grabbed a cheap dropper (the kind you get for free at the pharmacy) and hot glued a carb cleaner spray tube. The dropper fits perfectly tight on the bp injector end without the o-ring.

To use it, put the dropper on the injector, connect the spray tube to the carb cleaner can, put the injector plug on the injector, and hook up the leads to the battery. Turn the switch on and start spraying. The pressure from the spray will clean the injector nicely and you can see the spray pattern. If you do this, make sure you tape all the wiring ends well to minimize the risk of things exploding

It worked great and I cleaned the injectors in less than 5 minutes.

Oscar

Cool, thats a great idea.
    '90 LX

Comment

ultra sonic sink with seafoam works great too
      money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by NovaSS View Post
        ultra sonic sink with seafoam works great too
        Yes, but this way you can see that the injector opens and closes properly and how it's spraying. Plus the ultrasonic cleaner that I have at home is only a 2 quart one that my wife uses to clean jewelry and stuff like that and I hate cleaning it after I put greasy stuff in it
        Oscar

Comment

ok, might have done something wrong, but im having trouble wth this.
          turned switch on and heard one click.
          pressed spray can and my tube popped off from pressure.
          nothing went thru injector...
          did this to all 4 injectors,(all clogged?)
          my wiring was excatly like yours, so there mut be something wrong with injectors?
          93L sold. First FESTY!
          91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
          91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
          89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
          93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
          89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
          93GL Sold Too Soon!
          91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

^ Sorry I missed your reply. I also had the tube pop off from pressure but it was because I forgot to turn the switch on. Once the switch is on and the injector open, the cleaner should go right through. Did you try to switch on and off while spraying? Try spraying just a little bit at a time so that the tube doesn't come off.
            Also, measure the resistance on the injectors to make sure they are still good.
            Oscar

Comment

gotta say Perucho you have been a life safer on my project
              Parker

Comment

Wouldnt you want to spray into the outlet of the injector, kinda like backflushing a cooling system?
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Yeah, you can spray it both ways. The switch only opens the injector.
                  Oscar

Comment

what should they be shaped like when the jets come out?
                    Parker

Comment

Can't remember now LOL. Maybe a flat V pattern?
                      Oscar

Comment

A cone.....If you want to clean them w/o removing them add 1 qt of odorless mineral spirits to a tank of gas. Do it twice for really bad hesitation....
                        "If you come to a fork in the road, take it".... Yogi Berra

Comment

I use a 9 volt battery to hold them open....figured it would be impossible to fry em that way...and spray cleaner till you get a nice pattern...you can see it change as you spray!
                          1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                          1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                          1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                          1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                          1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                          1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                          1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Most cars use high impedance or "saturated" injectors that are not designed to operate at 100% duty cycle (which is what you are doing when you hold them wide open while you're cleaning them) and I think 9 volts is safer. For cars with low impedance "peak and hold" injectors, they are designed to operate at 100% duty cycle (Like my SVO Mustang....) and 12 volts is probably fine but I use 9 volts anyway.
                            1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                            1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                            1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                            1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                            1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                            1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                            1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

ok i cleaned mine and they still come out in a straight stream?
                              Parker

Comment

Working...
                              X