Aspire headlight problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire headlight problem

OK, so my dad's aspire's headlights quit working on him the other day. He still has dash lights, parking lights, etc, just no headlights. Are these lights on a different fuse that the rest of them, or is there a relay somewhere? Also, are these switches known to fail like the festiva switches? Thanks for any information you can give me.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

the headlights run off of a fuse under the hood.

if that isn't blown, check the actual connectors on the bulbs, they tend to heat up and melt over time.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

the relay i had some one ask me this awhile ago here in town the relay may be dirty or bad i think it needs to cleaned to be honest with u its located under passanger side fender if i'm correct
      FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Thanks for the information everyone. I am going to be working on it when they come down to my house on Wed. of next week. I will let you guys know what it is when I find out.
        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:

Comment

FINALLY getting to work on it today. My mom had someone change the switch out, and that didn't help. She says they looked at the fuses under the hood as well, and supposedly they look good. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I am hoping it is something simple. BTW... what is the fuse under the hood labeled that goes to the headlights?

My Fleet:

Comment

My guess is a melted socket the bulb plugs into. with aspires you shouldn't go anything more than stock replacement bulbs or the wires heat up and melt the sockets. I had to fix them on my 95 I just bought, and on my other 95 I had back in the day.
            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by 1988redfordfestiva View Post
              its located under passanger side fender if i'm correct
              Yes, you are! Right under the air box. I believe it is the relay, because I can "jump" across 2 of the pins and get lights. Otherwise, they are just very dim. If you "flash" them, they work, they just don't stay on. NOW, my concern is WHERE do I find a replacement? I tried autozone, advance auto, pep boys, etc... but none of them can even order them? Is this a "dealer only" part like the stores say? If so, what would the dealers charge for such a part? I need it ASAP, but don't have a lot of $ at this moment, so if anyone knows of one from another vehicle that plugs in, or a certain place to get it cheap, please let me know.

My Fleet:

Comment

take the old one off check for corrosion and clean thats your best bet it might be dirty if u need a relay i can get one for u if u'd like i have one some where in a pile in my garage
                FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Ford can't even order the part. I got the old part # from them, but it is unavailable! part #MDX52-67730

My Fleet:

Comment

Another thing to check for is bad grounds. I had an issue with one headlight where it would only come on very dim. I spliced in a wire to the black one in the headlight plug and ran it to the frame and problem solved. I'm guessing the Aspire is very similar to the Festiva in that regard.
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

haha... Around here they follow you and watch you remove any and all parts, if they even let you touch the car. I even had one guy tell me I couldn't open the door, just look through the window.

My Fleet:

Comment

yea all the jy's around here are free to get in and usually the good ones are a lil further

Comment

Originally posted by pwgus
                          junk yard dude, there small enough that you can probably even get it at a 5 finger discount if you have that kind of a coupon
                          Did you really just advocate STEALING?????

Weak dude.. if it were my forum, you'd be banned for life....

Remind me to never trust you... if you would steal something small... the big stuff ain't far behind...

Dishonesty is dishonesty and a real mark on your character...

weak, just weak...
                          Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
                          http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
                          http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
                          My Garage Page:
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

I bet that if you take the relay in and just match it up with another one at the advance you will be fine. I have people come in and can't get a relay and i go through all the ones i can find and match them up to one from some thing else and it work just as good.
                            Or it maybe the same as another relay as the horn or some thing else on the car.
                            Last edited by hofficergrover; 04-27-2010, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by quaddawg View Post
                              Did you really just advocate STEALING?????

Weak dude.. if it were my forum, you'd be banned for life....

Remind me to never trust you... if you would steal something small... the big stuff ain't far behind...

Dishonesty is dishonesty and a real mark on your character...

weak, just weak...
                              I have to say that I do agree with you bro....stealing is wrong. I DO NOT CONDONE ANY KIND OF ACT OF THEFT!! but, when I'm at the local boneyard, I must admit, that I do very rarely, tend to sometimes, slip a few small things in my pocket. Only because that most jy's around here will literally charge you 5 bux a piece for a used fuse. I will also mention that, when/if I do end up slipping something SMALL in my pocket, I ALWAYS buy something that I can use. Weather its an intake manifold, spark plug wires, to a whole parts car. You're right...dishonesty is dishonesty. Call me hypocritical, I, DO NOT,what so ever, consider myself a thief. The way I see it, you can love me or hate me. So, being that said, I do apologize if i had offended anyone, or gave a wrong impression of my character, as I was part of that conversation.

Comment

Working...
                              X