No announcement yet.

Why Do I keep Blowing Front Main Seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do I keep Blowing Front Main Seals?

I just re-built my 1.3L FI engine and I went all out: 3 angle valve job, full machine shop work up on the block and head, new pistons, bearings, gaskets/seals, clutch and timing belt.

I have just over $600 invested in this engine but I have a small oil leak coming from the timing belt area and I can't seem to fix it.

I seems to be the front main seal.

I have replaced it 3 times and the last time I use and insertion tool to seat it but the leak is back.

It's fine for about 5 minutes then it starts to drip.

Then I tear down the front end and the front main seal is loose enough to be easily pulled out.

I tried to buy one of those crank shaft repair kits with the sleeve, insertion tool and seal, but none of my local auto parts stores (AutoZone and Advanced Auto, carry them.

A few of you have been invaluable in helping me get this engine re-built and I really appreciate it.

But now my investment will be for nothing if I can't get this to work.

I know many of you thought I was crazy to re-build the 1.3 but it was and still is the best option for where I live.

I thought about pulling the 1.3 and replacing it with a 1.6 so i went shopping and the cheapest engine I could find was over $500 and it had 130K+ miles on it.

you could either replace the oil pump, which you should have done if you went "all out" on your over haul.

or you could try staking the seal in place with a chisel

did you have the crank machined or at least checked during the overhaul?

Comment

I couldn't find a oil pump

I did have the crank ground but they didn't touch the front snout.

Comment

Advanced has them. I saved my box in case I ever needed to do another.

Manufacturer: National Redi Sleeves, Federal Mogul
        Part #: 99114
        This is just the sleeve.

For the seal I used Timken part # 223012

Use the timing belt pulley to put the sleeve on the crank. Also the seal is a bit tough to get over the sleeve.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I really wouldn't attempt to stake the seal in place on the pump, a little risky in my opinion. However, Permatex Ultra-Gray around the outside of the seal (prior to installing) would work wonders. Just don't start it for 24hrs.

Matt,
          I was looking at that part myself. Advance/Parts America has that listed as a cam seal repair for the 1.6 SOHC. You used it on the crank snout of your 1.8 DOHC? I know the cam and crank front seals on the 1.3/1.6 are the same id/od, so I assumed it would work. Did you run into any issues at all with it, or was it a trouble-free install/repair?
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

When I bought my car (before the BP swap) it had a massive oil leak. I think that was the only reason the girl was selling it. Her mechanic couldn't get it to stop leaking. I changed the seal and it still leaked. The kit I bought was for the B3 crank. I put about 1000 miles on the engine after that before the BP swap. No leaking at all. I still have the engine in the garage and will use it if needed on a stock festiva.

The install was a little tricky but if you use the crank timing pulley to press it on it makes it easier. Then the seal takes work to get on. The crank is now a bit bigger. The spring on the seal kept popping off during install. Maybe if you put tape on the crank snout to make it even the whole way it would be easier.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I've used Speedi-Sleeves and Redi-sleeves before on domestic engines, so I know about the seal fitment issues...

Advance's website just doesn't show that part for B3, that's why I asked.
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
              X