No forward gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No forward gears?

There is a Festiva close to me for sale and I am thinking of buying it but the owner says there a no forward gears but it does have reverse. What could the problem be? It's a Five speed by the way.
    '90 LX

Shift fork is probably gone or near gone. It will need another trans unless you want to get inside of that one and replace a few parts.
    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Maybe fork problem.

Edit: You beat me to this.

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

should be 3 forks for the 5spd trans, can't immagine all 3 going bad...
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          should be 3 forks for the 5spd trans, can't immagine all 3 going bad...
          Depends on the abuse factor. I had a 4 speed once that had no gears. When I tore it down the forks were toast. Amazingly enough all the syncs looked good.
          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

If the car has reverse and you are going to look at it, see if it will go in 5th gear and attempt to move if you "slip" the clutch a little. If it will go into 5th, I would say the shift gate is probably broken and the 1 - 4 gear forks are out of position. That shift gate is kind of a weak spot and is prone to cracking or breaking sometimes.
            You gonna race that thing?
            http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

no u guys are all wrong the clutch is bad i'm real sure of it if u try all gears and get nothing most likely the clutch is shot
              FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Originally posted by 1988redfordfestiva View Post
                no u guys are all wrong the clutch is bad i'm real sure of it if u try all gears and get nothing most likely the clutch is shot
                Then reverse wouldn't work either so try again

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Yes it would be that's why there's 2 sides to a clutch i blew my clutch and only had reverse so i am correct i remember it exactly when my shift rail snapped it was stuck in 3rd i drove off the highway and up my hill in 3rd and when i fixed the shift rail the clutch went bad as soon as i took off. so i dropped it in reverse and backed it into my driveway
                  FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Yes it would be that's why there's 2 sides to a clutch
                    jesus I hope you're kidding. You can't be THAT stupid...
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Well, thanks for all the replies, but it sold.
                      '90 LX

Comment

Yes it would be that's why there's 2 sides to a clutch i blew my clutch and only had reverse so i am correct i remember it exactly when my shift rail snapped it was stuck in 3rd i drove off the highway and up my hill in 3rd and when i fixed the shift rail the clutch went bad as soon as i took off. so i dropped it in reverse and backed it into my driveway
                        OMG!! What!?!? Are you serious??....your kidding right??

Comment

That's about as good as the story about the guy that wanted to know how to stop gas from leaking out of his gas tank after he drilled a hole in it to connect his Nitrous bottle.
                          You gonna race that thing?
                          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

lol that would have been funny to read lol
                            the heart beat of america stops here______________/\
                            \/\_____________FORD
                            FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
                              That's about as good as the story about the guy that wanted to know how to stop gas from leaking out of his gas tank after he drilled a hole in it to connect his Nitrous bottle.
                              I would have told him to arc weld it.

Comment

Working...
                              X