Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing brake rotors

Hi,

I have an 91 festiva which is in need of some brake work. I have taken off the calipers to rebuild them and am stuck on getting the rotors off. I have attached a couple of pictures to better describe where I am at.

The bolts that hold the rotor onto the spindle are on the inside of the rotor and are not accessible. So intuition would tell me that the spindle must come off to get access to the bolts to remove the rotor, but I am unable to get the spindle off. Is it just tough to get off or do I need to do something special?

Thank you for the help.

just get some aspire front brakes...

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

Originally posted by big_ty2003 View Post
      just get some aspire front brakes...
      Right, but how do I get the current rotors off?

Comment

pb blaster and a BFH to remove. by the way. spindles are in the rear not the front

Comment

I believe they are pressed on... Just take the whole knuckle off. Undo axle nut, tie rod end nut, ball joint bolt & nut, and the 2 strut bolts. The whole thing should come off.

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

I had to remove the whole front steering knuckle and take a BFH and pound the hub out of the knuckle. Then there are bolts on the back that hold the rotor on. Replace the rotor and put the knuckle back on, then I used the axle nut to press the hub back into the knuckle.

Comment

People have replaced the rotors without removing the wheel and reported how they did it with photos in this forum. A search might turn up something. Yesterday I went to a Canadian Tire store here in Ottawa and borrowed a 3-prong puller through their free tool loaner program to remove the inner bearings from a pair of front hubs. I think it would pull your rotors off too. I put a large socket (22mm) upside down on the end of the puller bolt and off they came. You'll have to remove the axle nut, which can be a challenge, then put the puller bolt on the end of the axle, if I remember correctly.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, seems like a poor design to me...maybe that is why everyone is going with the aspire brakes...

Comment

i'd like to know how to replace rotors on any vehicle without removing the wheel, lol well good luck mat per

Comment

Originally posted by festiva351w View Post
                    i'd like to know how to replace rotors on any vehicle without removing the wheel, lol well good luck mat per
                    remove axle nut, rock tire side to side tire/wheel and rotor should fall off.

Comment

really? i had to beat and pry my rotors off, lol but what about the caliper, will that come off the rotor, with the wheel still attached? just curious

Comment

I think if your hub separates that easily you may have some issues.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

just did my brakes and had to get old rotors PRESSED off and new ones PRESSED on at a shop. and bearings and seasl were put on for free with the pressing(which need pressed too!

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                            I think if your hub separates that easily you may have some issues.
                            not when the axle nut isnt in place and neither are your calipers. when you wiggle the wheel vigorously the rotor will come off the hub with the bearings. easy.

Comment

teering Knuckle/Bearing Hub Assembly

Removal
                              Tools Required:
                              l Tie Rod End Remover T85M-3395-A

l 2-Jaw Puller D81L-1002-A

1. Raise the vehicle.

2. Remove the front wheel.
                              CAUTION:
                              Use care not to damage the groove and threads in the halfshaft end.

3. Use a small cape chisel to raise the staked edge of the halfshaft attaching nut flange.

NOTE:
                              Apply the brakes during this procedure to prevent the hub assembly from turning.

4. Remove the halfshaft attaching nut and discard.

5. Remove the retaining clip that secures the caliper hose to the strut bracket.

6. Remove the cotter pin and the tie rod end nut. Discard the cotter pin.
                              NOTE:
                              If the tie rod end remains seized, strike the steering knuckle sharply with a soft-tipped hammer to separate.

7. Use Tie Rod End Remover T85M-3395-A to release the tie rod end from the steering knuckle arm.

8. Remove the two disc brake caliper attaching bolts.

9. Lift the caliper off the rotor.

CAUTION:
                              Do not allow the caliper to hang freely by its flex hose.

10. Suspend the assembly by rope or wire from the MacPherson strut.

11. Remove the clamp bolt and attaching nut at the point where the control arm ball joint connects to the steering knuckle.

12. Release the control arm ball joint from the steering knuckle by pulling downward on the lower control arm. Use a prybar, if needed.

13. Remove the two MacPherson strut bracket bolts.

14. Slide the rotor/hub assembly off the end of the halfshaft.

NOTE:
                              If binding occurs, tap the end of the halfshaft with a plastic-tipped hammer. If the wheel hub is rusted to the halfshaft, use either a two-jaw puller or a hub puller to separate.

Installation
                              NOTE:
                              Apply a thin film of SAE 30 weight oil to the halfshaft splines. Stop at the point where the uppermost arm of the steering knuckle seats into the MacPherson strut bracket.
                              1. Guide the steering knuckle/rotor/hub assembly onto the halfshaft and along the prelubricated splines.

2. Install the MacPherson strut bracket bolts. Tighten the MacPherson strut bracket attaching nuts to 93-117 N-m (69-86 lb-ft).

3. Position the control arm ball joint in the steering knuckle.

4. Install the control arm clamp bolt and attaching nut. Tighten the control arm attaching nut to 43-54 N-m (32-40 lb-ft).

5. Position the caliper on the steering knuckle and install the disc brake caliper bolts. Tighten the disc brake caliper bolts to 39-49 N-m (29-36 lb-ft).

6. Position the caliper hose in the strut routing bracket and install the retaining clip.

NOTE:
                              After installation of the nut, the wheel hub assembly must rotate freely by hand.

7. Install a new halfshaft attaching nut. Tighten the halfshaft attaching nut to 157-235 N-m (116-174 lb-ft).
                              CAUTION:
                              Do not use a pointed tool. If the nut cracks even slightly during staking, replace it with a new one.

8. Stake the halfshaft attaching nut into the shaft groove.

9. Connect the tie rod end to the steering knuckle and install the tie rod end attaching nut. Tighten the tie rod end attaching nut to 29-44 N-m (22-33 lb-ft).
                              NOTE:
                              If the openings in the nut and the hole in the tie rod ball stud fail to line up, tighten the nut slightly, just to the point of alignment. Never loosen the nut.

10. Install a new cotter pin through the tie rod end attaching nut and the tie rod ball stud.

11. Install the wheel. Tighten the wheel attaching bolts to 88-118 N-m (65-87 lb-ft).

12. Lower the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X