No announcement yet.

Thumping noise while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires can make a world of difference though.
    The H.A.M.B.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com

Comment

Sorry for the late response. I appreciate everyones help. Anyway, I've tried all of the things recommended. Top strut nut is tight, driving next to a wall didn't reveal anything, and driving over a speed bump or pothole has no effect on the thump. However, the car now makes a terribly loud squeaking noise from the front when it starts to move. (Even if it's in neutral and I push the car from behind.) Could that be related? Or an entirely new problem? As for the tires, I need to save up a bit to get a full set of them.
      BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Comment

jamesmc, I think you have a dry, worn out wheel bearing! If you jack up the wheel and turn it, do you hear a grinding or bump sound as the wheel turns? Dry bearings, binding will certainly squeak. Good luck! Please let us know if you needed to change out your front bearings, both inner and outer, plus the race, of course. Front wheel bearings take a beating because they have to take on the sway and inertia of your moving vehicle in turns. And, they are not permanently lubed! Please bring us up to date as soon as you can.
        1989 Ford E-350 Fleetwood Jamboree RV, Blue-White
        2004 Ford Ranger XLT, Fire Engine RED
        1988 Ford Festiva, Black, originally Yellow, 2 engines
        1988 Ford Festiva, body work, primed, ready for paint
        1990 Ford Festiva, Blue-green, or I guess Teal
        2004 Honda Element, Silver
        1995 Honda Civic EX, White
        2004 6X6 Argo, Forest Green
        Visit Alaska!
        Iditarod Dog Sled Race Starts here in Willow!

Comment

Originally posted by AKZack View Post
          jamesmc, I think you have a dry, worn out wheel bearing! If you jack up the wheel and turn it, do you hear a grinding or bump sound as the wheel turns? Dry bearings, binding will certainly squeak. Good luck! Please let us know if you needed to change out your front bearings, both inner and outer, plus the race, of course. Front wheel bearings take a beating because they have to take on the sway and inertia of your moving vehicle in turns. And, they are not permanently lubed! Please bring us up to date as soon as you can.
          That was my guess too... Wheel bearing might be bad. Littlebluecar's bearings were bad and had actually squared off some of the ball bearings inside of the race... so when they actually did move, they'd "thump".

New tires wouldn't hurt either. I've got a Ford Freestyle that does the same thing when the tires get worn.
          www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
          www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
          Snoopy's
          4621 Atlantic Ave
          Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

It's been a while but I just got this problem resolved. It got really bad, and needed to be fixed. A mechanic replaced the brake rotor, spindle, and axle and the problem is now gone. Rides nice and smooth.
            BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Comment

Working...
            X