Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you suppose this fell off from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you suppose this fell off from?

Last Saturday on the highway I thought I was going to die. Above 60 my car should shake violently from the rear end. Felt like the whole car was trying to jump to the left.

Found this in the street where I parked my car the other day. Usually I park in the driveway, but I had customers so I parked in the street. Could be unrelated.

I looked around my car and couldn't find anything that looked broken. Front sway bar is just fine (and much larger than that).
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Lower rear shock bolt???
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Upper rear shock Attachment.
      1960 willys pickup
      1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
      1989 festiva
      1990 festiva for parts
      1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by worfdog View Post
        Upper rear shock Attachment.
        X2. But if it's off of your car, you've got serious problems.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
          X2. But if it's off of your car, you've got serious problems.
          X3. But why would it be rusty? It's inside the trunk area. Pull off your trunk plastic and look at the upper mounts. Should be twonuts; the lower one is a flared nut, and the upper is a non-flared nut used for locking the lower one on.
          Last edited by TominMO; 07-05-2010, 12:27 PM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

thats what I was thinking^ If its from the top, it "shouldnt" be exposed to the elements?
            It looks like it would be easy to tell where it came from?
            93L sold. First FESTY!
            91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
            91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
            89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
            93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
            89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
            93GL Sold Too Soon!
            91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

looks like a rear sway bar link, but i've only replaced the ones on my girlfriend's 323. that's what the bottom end of one looks like though.
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Looks like a front sway bar link to a rear wheel drive GM. Most likely fell/ broke off someone's car/ truck. I would say unrelated to the issues you are having with your car. Unless you're driving the previously mentioned vehicle.

Comment

Yeah, upper shock bolt would be inside the car.

Do we have a rear sway bar?

Like I said, it was in the street and I found it on Thursday. So there were about 5 days that it could have fallen off something else.

But the violent shake is still there.

Which might have been present for a long time. This is the first time I had driven my car "unloaded" so it was a lot lighter. Usually I carry a few ladders and some tools in it.
                  www.dantheoilman.com
                  AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                  Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                  Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Originally posted by darkdan View Post
                    Yeah, upper shock bolt would be inside the car.

Do we have a rear sway bar?

Like I said, it was in the street and I found it on Thursday. So there were about 5 days that it could have fallen off something else.

But the violent shake is still there.

Which might have been present for a long time. This is the first time I had driven my car "unloaded" so it was a lot lighter. Usually I carry a few ladders and some tools in it.
                    worn struts and unbalanced tires maybe causing the shake rattle and roll.
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

with out a doubt thats the part of the end of the sway bar that goes through the control arm, thats yor whole problem get a new sway bar and bushings

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                        with out a doubt thats the part of the end of the sway bar that goes through the control arm, thats yor whole problem get a new sway bar and bushings
                        the shake is in the rear of the car.....wrong type of bushing for a sway bar. If it was broke like that in the front the strut would move back and forth and pull left and right depending whether he was on the gas or off.
                        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        There ain't no rest for the wicked
                        until we close our eyes for good.
                        I will sleep when I die!
                        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                          Without a doubt, if that is from his car, it is the upper rear strut mount. But I don't think it's from his car. Fairly certain when I did mine, that it would not have been possible to tighten the nut down far enough to have that much threads above the nut. Could be wrong, it's been awhile since I've done the rears.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Not to mention if thats from the top of the rear strut, that is from inside the car, and behind the interior panels, how the hell did it get in the driveway??

I would highly doubt it came off a festiva since that doesn't look to be from the front sway bar either

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

lol ,thats the rustiest bolt ive ever seen if it fell off your strut it wouldnt have been on the ground unless your strut housing area is as rusted out as that bolt, it would have fell into the hatch area,
                              but that is what it looks like ,rear top srtut bolt that bolt makes me laugh allot thanks for the pic

Comment

Working...
                              X