Aspire getting only 22mpg!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ericsmith32
    Does your cars have EGR? Clean it or block it off and see what she does.
    Where should we look for that?
    Tell it like it is...not how it should be

Comment

axygene sensor test

a volt meter on the black wire and ground, you must see 0-.2 to .75-1 volt switching low to high when running at steady speed ( 60 mph for example ) if it don't go under .3 volt you are running too rich, if it wrong go over .75 volt your sensor is bad or fuel pressure is low. if it go negative replace it!

Comment

On the carb'd I can't remember exactly. Look for a saucer shape object with a hose attached the top and the bottom to the intake manifold, has a wire or two coming out of it. I looked at your pics and I didn't see one so either you don't have one or it's hidden.
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

This car is FI...but I'll take a few snaps of the throttle body etc and any diaphragm/saucer shaped contraptions

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32
            Does your cars have EGR? Clean it or block it off and see what she does.
            I'll have to get back to you on that one but that's a remote possibility as the engine idles fine and the puter isn't seeing any voltage at the EGR sensor when at idle or normal driving (i have an OBD II scanner). and the fuel filter is 4000 mi new. injector pulse width is normal and MAF sig is good.

Originally posted by yvanlavoie20
            a volt meter on the black wire and ground, you must see 0-.2 to .75-1 volt switching low to high when running at steady speed ( 60 mph for example ) if it don't go under .3 volt you are running too rich, if it wrong go over .75 volt your sensor is bad or fuel pressure is low. if it go negative replace it!
            Yvan, remember that you have to use an analog meter or oscilloscope to test O2 sensors properly. a digital meter can't react fast enough to give you a good picture of what the O2 sensor is putting out. normally a sensor (for fords) will switch about 6-8 times per second and you can test it while at idle (preferred). the stock ECU can react to a range from .2-.8V without putting on the SES light. the main thing is it has to see a switching from high to low within a certain amount of time or it'll throw a code and turn on the SES light.

hope that clears up some things

Arty
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

lol

sensor on aspire - festy are one wire = slow ones...even with a slow tester you can see volt change...i never see one switching at that speed in 13 years of ford master tech...in real worlds even wide band used in newer model switch about 3 to 4 time per second at driving speed, no analog meter can move so fast...even a simpson professional one.
              i test a 10 $ meter and a 750$ ( mine ) , both read about the same.except if you put the cheap one on the spark plug wires 8) it is not protected from high voltage induction...on aspire and festy, many sensors wont go over .1 volt when idling, the sensor is too cold to generate voltage.. try your test at 60 mph and see :lol:

Comment

woah! NEVER use an analog volt meter on an O2 sensor! It doesn't have enough impedance. My Simpson 260 only has like 10k resistance, way too much load for the zirconium cell in an O2 sensor. Less than 2 or 3 Meg will burn out the cell. You need a graphing DVOM (10Meg impedance) or a scope (20-50Meg impedance).
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Didn't know that...

Glad you said something before I hooked my 260 (best $20 I ever spent) up to the sensor to see what it was doing... :shock:
                  White '89L auto - Sold!
                  Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy
                    the stock ECU can react to a range from .2-.8V without putting on the SES light. the main thing is it has to see a switching from high to low within a certain amount of time or it'll throw a code and turn on the SES light.

hope that clears up some things

Arty
                    hahaha, SES lamp. We can tell someone got brainwashed by GM early on....

us FORD guys (and gals) call it a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)

just fun little facts....

and Tim, I got my 260 for free! Amazing what people put little to no value on!
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

So how is it I go from 26 to 40mpg again?...... :lol:

Comment

Man I am happy for you ,I thought you were never going to get your millage back .
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                        Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                        HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                        Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                        Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                        Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                        Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                        90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                        It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Originally posted by packrat427
                          Man I am happy for you ,I thought you were never going to get your millage back .
                          Unfortunately I'm just kidding....

Same old MPG here

Comment

sensor

lol...even with 12 volt on the black wire, even shorted you cant burn the sensor because it is a voltage generator...lol and yes an old Simpson do a great job for checking the voltage on this type of sensor but needle are too slow to catch peak volts...

Comment

Working...
                            X