rattling heat sheild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rattling heat sheild

hey guys, i have a really annoying rattle that comes along when my car is idling low. the previous owner said that it was the heat sheild, anybody know how to fix that rattle? i'm saying this assuming it may be common in festys.

.....................................www.abbottgraphics.com

May not be the heat shield more common is that the weld to the flange which connects the down pipe to the cat reactor has let loose.
    If you get the front up on ramps, it gives you room to wiggle the down pipe to cat reactor connection.
    If it's loose it rattles at low engine speed.
    Easy fix is to have it tack welded in-situ then unbolt it from the manifold and cat reactor and run a bead all the way around it.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^^^ If that's not the issue then it probably is heat shield. I had the same thing happen on my car and just pulled the shields off.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

cool thanks guys, i'll check that when i get it up on ramps

.....................................www.abbottgraphics.com

Comment

I have the same problem, It started after one Ohio winter, I can't find it but I will give that downtube area a another looksie.
          93 Festiva GL

Comment

If it is the heat shield, just drill the flange where it separated with 1/8 drill bit and screw a sheet metal screw thru it. Use a #8 sheet metal screw.
            If it's the down pipe bracket, retighten & add another nut, to jam the first.

Comment

Working...
            X