Couple issues with my recent purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple issues with my recent purchase

First off, my brakes will randomly go to the floor and the car will pull hard left. Doesnt always happen but when it does it works out fine if I pump the pedal. Ive been told vacuum booster but could it also be a caliper? It loses no fluid.

Another thing, not really a problem but more of an annoyance, if I let off the gas above 40 or so it really engine brakes hard. Its an auto but its as if I'm gearing it down. Doesnt do it on any other autos I've been in. Its nice to not have to brake as much but its annoying because it happens "too easily". Its hard to describe.

Any ideas?
    90 LX Auto with 120k miles

^ I had same braking problem.
    I replaced master cylinder ($40) and fixed problem one.
    93L sold. First FESTY!
    91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
    91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
    89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
    93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
    89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
    93GL Sold Too Soon!
    91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

Originally posted by gestiva View Post
      ^ I had same braking problem.
      I replaced master cylinder ($40) and fixed problem one.
      totally agree.....recently had the same problem and replaced mine....problem fixed.
      Not sure about the tranny issue....I have an auto also and it does not do that in mine.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I have had the gearing issue in my Commodore. Completly different car I know but it was a cable ajustment. I am not sure what the Festys have as I have only had manuals. But also check the fluid in the gearbox (has to be checked with the engine hot and running).
        Fun and Festy!
        www.zappascomputers.com.au
        My Festy, My Girls Festy and My Hillman Minx

Comment

Brake problem sounds like air in the brake line/s. Bleed the brakes, in this order: Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, & finally, Left Front. Also check your hose to the brake booster. it should be tightly connected at both ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva Time View Post
            Brake problem sounds like air in the brake line/s. Bleed the brakes, in this order: Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, & finally, Left Front. Also check your hose to the brake booster. it should be tightly connected at both ends.
            as stated earlier...I had the same exact problem....bled brakes several times without any improvements. Sometimes it was good....sometimes went to the floor...till you pumped it a couple times and then had an excellent pedal. No fluid loss. Happened to notice that between the master cylinder and the booster that it was a little wet. Never had to put any fluid in....never moved from the full line. Replaced the master with another one I had and problem is gone....never bleed the brakes after either.

I am still voting on the MC.
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I appreciate the input, will likely look to replace the Mc this week and see what happens

Comment

So an update, replaced the MC and proceeded to bleed brakes but my front passenger bleeder screw is rusted and won't release air so I'm soaking it with pb blaster and hoping for the best. I was unable to locate any blender screws to purchase.

Second issue is still there though. When I let off the gas its almost like downshifting, that's how much the car slows down when going over say 40mph. Once this happens I get an exhaust smell in the car, now this is likely because of an exhaust leak where someone before me removed the cat and fitted a pipe. Another thing is if I'm going 55 and I let off the gas ill get a pop through the exhaust once it slows down by itself at about 35mph. It's very annoying but really not sure what could be causing it.

Comment

Originally posted by btaylor View Post
                  So an update, replaced the MC and proceeded to bleed brakes but my front passenger bleeder screw is rusted and won't release air so I'm soaking it with pb blaster and hoping for the best. I was unable to locate any blender screws to purchase.

Second issue is still there though. When I let off the gas its almost like downshifting, that's how much the car slows down when going over say 40mph. Once this happens I get an exhaust smell in the car, now this is likely because of an exhaust leak where someone before me removed the cat and fitted a pipe. Another thing is if I'm going 55 and I let off the gas ill get a pop through the exhaust once it slows down by itself at about 35mph. It's very annoying but really not sure what could be causing it.
                  so did the MC seem to fix the brake issue? As far as bleeding.....unless the peddle is spongy you may not need to bleed, depending on how you put the master on. No fluid drains from the line while off and if you had a little fluid in the MC while putting it on and then filled....no air really got into the line. I did not have to and still have not bleed mine and there are no issues.
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Originally posted by btaylor View Post

^maybe clogged exhaust? to answer your second problem^

And I second that you might not need to bleed your brakes.
                    I didnt have to when I replaced my MC. Only have to if pedal is spongy.

BTW, Where are you located? Someone close might be able to come help with the problems?
                    Last edited by gestiva; 08-13-2010, 11:16 PM.
                    93L sold. First FESTY!
                    91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
                    91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
                    89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
                    93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
                    89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
                    93GL Sold Too Soon!
                    91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

Brakes ended up with air in the line and are very spongy so bleeding is a must, I've got a few other forum members who are friends right here where I live but were not sure on problem #2 yet. I live in Adrian MI.

Comment

My 91 had the same problem I replaced the TPS and reset the timing..It worked for me...

Comment

Sweet, ill give it a shot and see what happens.

Comment

I broke the bleeder nipple on one of my front wheels when replacing all my brake line but since no fluid leaked out I bled the line from the next coupling above the caliper. No problem.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

you can also bleed it from connection to the caliper ....but it is a little messy...lol
                              89L Silver EFI auto
                              91GL Green Auto DD
                              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Working...
                              X