No announcement yet.

Running rich, 17.5 mpg on last tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it is too-high fuel pressure; but if the wires are switched going into the VAF, as I mentioned in a previous post, then the computer is probably in the overly-rich "limp home" mode, which would account for the black tailpipe. Or possibly the PO before me just didn't do the wiring right. So if pressure is OK, and you switch the wire but get no improvement in MPG, I would go back to basics and trace all the wiring. For that you might need someone here who is knowledgable about how to do this swap properly. (Not me.)
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You might also try switching out the VAF for one of the two spares I gave you.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If it was running really rich, I would assume there would be some smoke out the tailpipe, that mpg is horrible.

Comment

is this a 90+ b6? requiring the relocation of the vaf? if so double check all your connections. when i did my b6d the first time it did the same exact thing. black smoked like crazy, ran line a raped ape when wot, but idled horribly.
          Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
          93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
          93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
          15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Everyone keeps saying something about the smoke and I believe he's confirmed that at least once... as far as the wires I'd do that and or swap the VAFs.... wouldn't you want to runn the pressure gauge temporarily somewhere you could see it when the problem occurred instead of just at the fuel rail or there something here I'm missing... I've never done a swap, but this information should help when I do get to doing a swap in mid 2011 or so.....
            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
            89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
            Projects in the works:
            84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
              is this a 90+ b6? requiring the relocation of the vaf? if so double check all your connections. when i did my b6d the first time it did the same exact thing. black smoked like crazy, ran like a raped ape when wot, but idled horribly.
              It's a NA B6D from a '93 Capri. The MAF is in the normal Festy location, the way the PO did the swap. Here's a pic of the motor:

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
              X