Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^
    Good idea with the jumper!

Don't think the cut off switch would reset itself though, as we are seeing here.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

just had a very similar problem. haynes says to check the fuel pump self test connector but didnt show what it looks like or where it is.

does someone have a pic of the bypass wire? is it the single gn/red wire with the connector end on it?

for reference- my main fuse link went out not too long ago, i curently have a randome guage length of fuse link crammed in there with battery voltage on both sides. i pulled the car around to the shop from the back lot, went to leave 10 minutes later and it would not start. im not hearing the fuel pump run, the starter solenoid works and the starter spins but the bendix isnt engaging it seems. when i turn the key it just clicks. nothing else.

after seeing the bit in the haynes about the self-test conector i looked for it- only to find about four or five random connectors on the drivers side of the engine compartment and one under the dash below the fuse box
      Last edited by woodyvw16v; 09-14-2010, 07:26 PM.
      Originally posted by scirocco*joe
      Project Car Theorem:
      If
      a) w = all time
      b) x = time spent at work
      c) y = the number of project cars you have
      d) z = amount of time you can spend each project car

Then

z = (w - x) / y

Comment

O.k. I have an update but still no fix to the problem the pump is good I hard wired the pump and the car started so I unhooked my jumper wire and started checking wiring went to start the car and it started again so I drove it home shut it off no start I couldn't find "self test" wire on the firewall I hooked 12 volts to every empty plug on the firewall and the pump wouldn't run anyone have any thoughts? maybe a bad wire? any help would be great I only found 1 relay under the dash on the drivers side swapped it with the one off of my 91 so I have run out of ideas
        Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

O.k. I fixed it. It was a loose connection on the fuel pump relay I found the relay and the plug was not plugged in all the way I plugged it in and the car fired up I am sure i fixed it thanks for all he help it got me pointed in the right dierection
          Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

thanks for the update.....good work on figuring it out.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Thanks and if anyone wants to know there is a tan plug with two wires right next to to the wiper motor with a red and a yellow wire the red wire is the "self test" wire I finally found it tucked behind the wiper motor and when I put 12 volts to it the pump started working and that led me to look harder for the relay

Comment

aha! that is good to know. i found several issues with mine that led to it working:

the positive battery cable was loose and corroded- replaced connector at the battery, cut the cables back, stripped, cleaned and reattatched them.

messed with the fuse link panel some more- achieved a better connection there (especially at the main link) the whole block is pretty badly corroded tho and i believe will need replacement in the near future.

also found the fuel and main relays- wiggled all the wiring around them in the process.

...somewhere in all that wiggling testing and fixing i achieved a better/good connection at the offending connector and now the car consistently starts.
                Originally posted by scirocco*joe
                Project Car Theorem:
                If
                a) w = all time
                b) x = time spent at work
                c) y = the number of project cars you have
                d) z = amount of time you can spend each project car

Then

z = (w - x) / y

Comment

Festys are bad about corrosion. I clean my terminals almost every time I pop the hood.
                  89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                  My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                    Festys are bad about corrosion. I clean my terminals almost every time I pop the hood.
                    not sure what you are talking about.....never have had an issue with the 5 I have/had.
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                      not sure what you are talking about.....never have had an issue with the 5 I have/had.
                      The 2 that i have owned have had this problem. My brothers dont for some odd reason. I assume a bad ground somewhere?
                      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Working...
                      X