Gas cap vent question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas cap

I would be willing to bet the poblem is with the gas cap. After a lot of reading, the cap should suck air in to prevent a vacuum build up, but not allow fuel vapours to escape. Get the Stant non locking pre-release cap 10819.

Comment

^^^ Sir, you are correct!
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Wait.....RETRACTION!!!! My car IS NOT running. It just died 1/2 block from the house on test drive. No gas to carb again!!!!
        This has got to be the NEW fuel pump being bad. Ran fine until I drove it. Had the gas cap loose too!!
        I dont think the pump is able to keep enough fuel flowing to carb. What else could it be?
        On top of that, trying to push it back to house, the drivers door caught the edge of a garbage dumpster that sit in the alley, and bent my door, shoved it into the fender and bent the fender too! (see my vent thread _ _ _ _ ME!) in the ARENA!!!!
        It did a lot of damage for me just pushing it! Looks like i've been in a wreck!!!!
        I will now need a fender and door, maybe hinges too! AND MY CAR STILL ISN'T RUNNING!!!! *&&^&^%^%&!!!!!!
        Last edited by drddan; 09-15-2010, 08:54 PM.
        Dan

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

BTW Dan, the link you gave for the Stant cap doen't work properly. It goes to the site, can enter number, do a search, but comes up "IE cannot display this page" Could be their site messin' up though.
          Dan

R.I.P.
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Java

Probably just your version of Java.
            I have about three or four new mechanical fuel pumps.
            I thought I needed them until I found out they wouldn't fit my dual carb application. I had to use an electric pump with a Holley bypass regulator.
            I had to get the pressure down to 4 psi and send the rest of the gas back to the tank.

Comment

I drove my car tonite. It didnt die! I finally found out exactly what it was.
              The fuel line hose in the engine bay, between the fuel filter mounted on the lower firewall, and metal line that runs from the tank, was kinked somewhat. It looked ok when it didnt have pressure on it. (which is when I was looking and checking the lines) When it did have pressure it was collapsing at the kink. It was 4 inches long, which made a sharp turn in it, and that was where it was collapsing. So it would get gas at first, then the line would collapse at the kink and cut off flow. It was half hidden down there and couldnt see it.
              I used an inspection mirror, had someone crank the motor, and I saw it collapse.
              I cut a piece about 8-10 inches long, so it had a smooth curve, installed it, and now it runs great. Took it for a long drive on the highway. It ran better than it ever has, since I bought it. The simplest things will get ya every time.
              I think it was okay when it was newer, then time did it in, made it softer, and it started collapsing at the bend.

Now I get to fix my fender and door Unbelievable how much damage the dumpster did to this car.
              Last edited by drddan; 09-16-2010, 11:29 PM.
              Dan

R.I.P.
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Dan, how about some pics of that dual carb set up? Interesting. I went to your profile, didnt see any pics of your car. Are they Weber's?
                Dan

R.I.P.
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Hitachi

No they are Hitachi carbs.
                  You can see them in my avatar.
                  They were from an 1981-83 1.5L Ford Laser
                  I have a thread, twin carb conversion.

25horseplay and Festboy both have one.

Still have two sets left.
                  One rebuilt set and one set not rebuilt.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 09-17-2010, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Nice freakin' carbs! drool But they are to small to see in your avatar.
                    How 'bout posting a big pic! I looked at your posts to see if there were any, but your last posts, now, are from 2009. If you had any posted, they must have gotten left behind on the server change over.
                    From what I can tell, looks to be a great looking motor!
                    Dan

R.I.P.
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

join the club

You are right, I will have to update my thread as to what I have done to the engine.

Discuss making performance enhancements to the OEM-spec engine in your Festiva or Aspire.

If you want to join the twin carb club, I can machine another adapter plate.

Then you can buy an emblem from the Bay:

and stick it on your hatch:
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 09-17-2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Dan. That is just sic! :glasses2: I like it. I would have to paint that breather another color though, a red or something.
                        That is awesome work you have done. Especially the plate. You must be a machinist. I made the one for my Weber carb. Isn't hard to do if you have machining experience.
                        Last edited by drddan; 09-17-2010, 10:33 PM.
                        Dan

R.I.P.
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

not a machinist

I am not a machinist. I just bought my 20" Craftsman drill press, 4" vice and 1-1/16" drill bit off of the Bay. You can do a lot when everything costs ten cents on the dollar. It's easy to make an adapter then. Especially out of aluminum.

Last edited by bravekozak; 09-22-2010, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Well, you could be! Nice press, and nice work. I made the 1/2" thk plate the same way, on my bench press. The 1" plate, I hogged out the center at work and drilled the holes at home on the press. I have some really nice carbide "rotary files" (also called carbide burrs) and coated drills collected from being in the machinist trade. I can make about anything I want to make.
                            Did I mention , I have a welder? Steel only at the moment. Aluminum next.
                            Last edited by drddan; 09-22-2010, 09:20 PM.
                            Dan

R.I.P.
                            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Working...
                            X