FI Festy won't re-start when raining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FI Festy won't re-start when raining

It's the weirdest thing. I have no problems with this car, exept when it's raining. It first begins to stumble at idle, after 5 to 10 miles. If I turn it off, like I did this morning, it will not re-start. The last time this happened, I must have pulled apart, and cleaned every fuel delivery related connector I could find (fuel pump wasn't running). But, it still wouldn't start. Out of desperation a day later, I tried to start it... and it fired right up like there was never a problem. I'm stumped. I currently have two fans drying out the engine bay, so I can jump into it tomorrow.

I've heard of one other Festy with the same issue, but the owner just doesn't drive it when rain is in the forecast. So, this must not be uncommon.

Any ideas, Fellas?

Thanks, in advance!

sounds like you need a new disty cap, probably moisture getting in there. Its caused by a bad seal.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

That's what it sounded like to me too...
      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
      89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
      Projects in the works:
      84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
        sounds like you need a new disty cap, probably moisture getting in there. Its caused by a bad seal.
        Originally posted by DrMaxwellEdison View Post
        That's what it sounded like to me too...
        X3! I hope you get it up and running again. This has been a known issue for years. Probably part of the reason they came out with the new coils that sit directly on the plugs.
        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
        89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

also wouldn't be a bad idea to change the wires from cap to plugs and to the coil... and also the rotor..... just preventative maintenance.... if the cap needs replacing these are probably also ready for a refresher
          Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
          89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
          Projects in the works:
          84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Sorry, guys. I should have mentioned that I changed the cap, rotor, wires and plugs the first time this happened...maybe a month ago.

Comment

could still be the cap, silicone spray around the outside of it helps. might also want to check your grounds.
              89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
              94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
              2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
              1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Figure out what is missing 1. fuel 2. spark - That will tell you what to check next.
                ROBc

Comment

Had this prob on an carby once, drove me nuts for weeks, finally changed out the dist and fixed it, occasionally have this issue efi, normal fix for me is new rotor wires and cap.
                  I put a bead of rtv around the caps lip during install, without sealing the vent and it
                  Helps alot.
                  (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

I pulled the dizzy cap to check for water, but it's dry. I re-sealed it while I was there with high temp RTV.

As I feared, it seems to be a fuel delivery problem. I have no fuel at the rail, and can't hear or feel the fuel pump operating (3/4 tank of gas). I've checked the cut-off switch, and started re-seating all fuel related connectors.

Any ideas?

Comment

do you have a tach? if so see if it jumps when cranking it. if not there may be an issue with your dist. messing up. the fuel pump doesnt prime untill rpm signal is seen from the dist.
                      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

A long shot, I heard (did not see it first hand) of a festy that lost fuel when it rained. He said one of the wires that ran under carpet was frayed and when it rained the car leaked and shorted out the wire.

Good Luck, I hate chasing stuff like this.
                        Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                        1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by econoaddict View Post
                          A long shot, I heard (did not see it first hand) of a festy that lost fuel when it rained. He said one of the wires that ran under carpet was frayed and when it rained the car leaked and shorted out the wire.

Good Luck, I hate chasing stuff like this.
                          Me too!

I've ripped the back half of the interior out, and started ohming out everything from the inertia switch forward. After every action (re-seat a connector, jiggle a wire bundle, etc...) I try to crank it, just so I can find the culprit. Last time, I did a lot of things and I'm not quite sure what fixed it.

BTW, I pulled the fuel line from the rail and tried to crank it over. No fuel.

Comment

Mine did this once when I washed it. Only after time did it start again. Nothing I did made it start.
                            Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

My 92 does this at times in heavy rain when following another car. I now carry a big spray can of WD40 [WD>water displacement] on board. Now when it quits I get out in the rain and spray the dist cap , wires and plugs. It starts right up then.

Comment

Working...
                              X