Rocker Shaft interchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker Shaft interchange?

Will the hydraulic rocker shafts from a sohc 1.6 work in a carbed 1.3?

I want to get away from the manual adjustment but don't want to screw something up.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

The camshaft profile is specific to the mechanical lash adjustment. You'll need to swap in a hyd cam to go along with the HLA rockers.

Personally, with all the problems I have with HLA's, I would prefer to have the mechanical cam and live with adjusting the lash. Throttle response is probably better with the mech cam anyway.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I didn't like the mechanical ones- very ticky. I ran my HLA rocker arms on a carbed cam for a long time with no issues. Don't know if it was right but it ran great. I ran it with the Aspire rollers at first and I know that's wrong but it ran ok. I have an FMS performance cam and HLA's now. It's no B6 but it does alright.

Comment

you can swap HLA rockers with mechanical rockers with no issues, just can't use aspire rollers on a non aspire cam. everything else will interchange with out incident. remember, it's the follower that matters, not the tappet end.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          you can swap HLA rockers with mechanical rockers with no issues, just can't use aspire rollers on a non aspire cam. everything else will interchange with out incident. remember, it's the follower that matters, not the tappet end.
          That's good to know. I figured since they are a different profile that it would be the same as trying to run mechanical lifters on a hyd grind (and vice-versa) in a V8, where the profiles are specific to the type of adjustment. It may work without causing any mechanical failure, but typically, mechanical cams have less lift & duration and slightly different ramp designs. I think I would still change the cam for optimum performance.
          Last edited by blkfordsedan; 10-01-2010, 06:07 PM. Reason: added comment
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info.
            Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
            1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Working...
            X