Idle Screw Adjustment Question/Dist Cap & Rotor Question/EGR Valve Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Screw Adjustment Question/Dist Cap & Rotor Question/EGR Valve Question

I'm still trying to fix my rough idle/stalling issues. And I wanted to check with you before I did anything that could make it worse.

Which way do I turn the cogged white screw to increase the idle speed?. Do I turn the screw IN (clockwise), or do I turn the screw OUT (counterclockwise) to increase the idle speed?

The dist cap and rotor appear to be original, and I plan on replacing them. After all they are 22 years old, and have 125K miles on them. Could corrosion and/or crud on the dist cap and rotor contacts cause a poor idle and stalling?

I read somewhere that a stuck EGR valve can cause a poor idle and stalling. I disconnected the EGR vacuum line, and put vacuum on the EGR valve. It held vacuum just fine. When I released the vacuum I could feel (and hear) the EGR valve functioning. The rubber diaphragm moved freely up/down when I applied/released vacuum. So it appears that the EGR valve is OK.

I left the EGR valve disconnected, and plugged the vacuum line that feeds it with a screw. My wife then took her Festy for a drive. She said that it only stalled one time on her, and she thought that was because she didn't downshift soon enough when coming to a stop. It appears that disconnecting the EGR valve and plugging the vacuum line actually made it idle more smoothly (still not what I want though), and it didn't stall on her when she took it for a drive. For now, I've left the EGR valve disconnected. Do you have any ideas on what I need to check? Do I have a problem somewhere else in the EGR system or the vacuum lines? I checked all the vacuum lines that I can see, and saw nothing amiss.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me, As a first-time Festy owner, I hope I'm not overlooking something obvious.

Tom

Idle Screw Adjustment: Clockwise [in] to increase idle speed.

Your EGR still maybe bad. Also the passageway connected to the EGR maybe partially clogged with exhaust carbon.

If you are not running Platinum SparkPlugs, You should. The cheaper priced ones are just good as the more expensive ones.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva Time View Post
        Idle Screw Adjustment: Clockwise [in] to increase idle speed.
        What?
        97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
        CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
        Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva Time View Post
          If you are not running Platinum SparkPlugs, You should. The cheaper priced ones are just good as the more expensive ones.

I disagree and someone with way more automotive knowledge than I says otherwise:

Last edited by Pu241; 10-27-2010, 06:46 AM.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Standard NGK's work wonders.
            89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
            My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Thanks guys, but spark plugs are not my main concern, at least not at this point.

My main concern is trying to figure out what vacuum lines are actually missing, and where they should actually be routed, particularly concerning the distributor vacuum advance. Tom

Comment

Absolutely change the disty cap, rotor and plug wires, along with using NGK V-power plugs. Change these things at least every 50K miles, except the wires change every 100K. Get the best-quality components you can find. Also, every 5000 miles, pull the cap and use an emery board or something to file down the crud that builds up on the contact points inside the cap, and on the rotor.
                Last edited by TominMO; 10-27-2010, 08:24 AM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                  I disagree and someone with way more automotive knowledge than I says otherwise:

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=12
                  I have had Platinum Plugs fire when the old-style copper plugs won't. I never had a misfire problem with Platinum Plugs, but I have had Copper Plugs fail after a few 100 miles of use.

I do not recommend the Platinum Plugs with 3 or 4 electrodes, simply because the spark is generated in a pocket created by the electrodes, making it harder [in theory] to ignite the air/fuel mixture.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    Absolutely change the disty cap, rotor and plug wires, along with using NGK V-power plugs. Change these things at least every 50K miles, except the wires change every 100K. Get the best-quality components you can find.
                    Whatever you do don't get BWD's Select Part # C689 dist. cap.. had it on 2 Festiva's and both times had random misfires. Replaced with a regular cap and have had no problems!
                    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Working...
                    X