X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• defroster question

I work third shift and usually drive home about 715am, lately the temp has

been around low 40's, high 30's. Whenever I use the heater ( I know that

heat will only come out the floor or defrost vents) , I usually just keep it on

the defrost vents. The car will fog up extremely quick and I have a very hard

time seeing out. I can set it on fresh or recir setting and set the fan speed

on the highest and it just clears out a section on the lower windshield. The air coming out is hot like it should be.

I have a 92 festiva ,5psd. It is blowing out enough air, just don't know if there is a trick to defrosting correctly. Should the a/c

switch be pushed in so the light comes on ? Any help is very appreciated.

Warm air can hold more humidity than cold air so when it hits that cold windshield, it will fog up. You need to have the a/c running to dry out the air (when it goes through the a/c condenser instead of your windshield) when you use the heater. It depends on vapor pressure but that may be too much info
    Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
      Warm air can hold more humidity than cold air so when it hits that cold windshield, it will fog up. You need to have the a/c running to dry out the air (when it goes through the a/c condenser instead of your windshield) when you use the heater. It depends on vapor pressure but that may be too much info
      that makes sense though. I will try it with the a/c on today.

Comment

Also make sure that you have the air set to fresh and not recirc. I had a "problem" a while ago with my windows not clearing on the inside. I had recently had the heating system out to replace the heater core and had forgotten to reconnect the cable for the fresh/recirc air door so it was stuck on recirc. Reconnected the cable, set it to fresh, "problem" fixed.
        Last edited by fastivaca; 10-27-2010, 10:26 AM. Reason: Addedand corrected info.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Quick fogging could be caused by even a small coolant leak in the Htr-core.

Comment

I would use recirc....if you bring in outside air it can cause the moisture build up too.
            When I was delivering pizza and it was cold or rainy mine would fog up.....crack the window a little bit and it would clear right up.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
            X