Is it the fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the fuel pump?

I bought my festy in the summer of 08' at an auction. I brought it home, put in a new battery, new spark plugs, new wires, new fuel filter, oil and filter, air filter and sprayed a little WD40 down into the cylinders to lube up the piston rings that could have been sitting for who knows how long. It was obvious the car hadn't been driven in ages.

Well, I put my freshly made key in the ignition and vrooom, she started right up. It looks like there was a bit of a leak from the valve cover and I could hear a slight tick from somewhere in the engine, but overall she ran well. I drove her around the block and up to the gas station a couple of times and then parked her and returned to school.

I've been collecting parts ever since.

Last February I had to move it up to my fathers house and returned home for the weekend to do it. I figured the battery was dead so I tried jump starting the car off my DD, but it would not fire. It seemed to want to for just a second at first, but then nothing. Perhaps it was trying to start on fumes, but the engine never actually turned over.

After working for a couple hours in the rain I found that when the key was turned, no fuel came out of the fuel line before the fuel filter. So I figured the pump was bad, bolted everything back together and pushed it on the trailer instead of driving it to St. Joe.

Now fast forward to today, the Festy is being brought down to me here in Louisiana and I am finally ready to start working on it. The first thing I must address is this no start issue.

SO, do you all think it could be the fuel pump or something else?

Where could I look for a good used one? Any other cars by Mazda or Ford that I could source one from? There are several junk yards around here I could look through.

Also, I'm planning on a built BP swap, should I just spring for a 255lph fuel pump off ebay? Has anybody had any luck with these?

I know its alot of questions but I'd appreciate ya'lls input! Thanks!
    1963 Ford F-100
    1992 Ford Festiva
    2006 Audi A4
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I would check the easy things first like the fuses and simple stuff like that. If all checks out good look for power going to the fuel pump through the panel under the rear seat. As the used fuel pumps go its not really a good idea to use a one from a junk yard. For buying the bigger fuel pump off ebay the stock works fine for a stock bp engine my car runs great unless your wanting to t-charge it.

Comment

I bought a performance pump on ebay for less than $40, works fine on my B6 swap!!
      Chuck
      Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
      If money will fix it, it's not broken
      91 GL -Ol' Rusty
      93 GL - Lil Red
      91 L - Tweetystiva
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Originally posted by RichardLSU View Post
        Perhaps it was trying to start on fumes
        You sure you have gas in it?

The replacement pumps say the part number is good for
        MERCURY CAPRI (1991 - 1994)
        MERCURY CAPRI XR2 (1991 - 1994)
        MERCURY TRACER (1988 - 1989)
        MITSUBISHI MIRAGE (1988 - 1989)
        MITSUBISHI MIRAGE L 1985
        MITSUBISHI MIRAGE LS (1986 - 1989)
        TOYOTA CAMRY DLX (1985 - 1986)
        TOYOTA CAMRY LE (1985 - 1986)
        TOYOTA CELICA GT (1990 - 1993)
        TOYOTA CELICA GTS (1990 - 1992)
        TOYOTA CELICA GTS SPORT (1990 - 1993)
        TOYOTA CELICA ST (1990 - 1993)
        TOYOTA COROLLA FX16 (1987 - 1988)
        TOYOTA COROLLA FX16 GTS (1987 - 1988)
        TOYOTA COROLLA GTS (1988 - 1991)
        TOYOTA PREVIA DLX (1991 - 1993)
        TOYOTA PREVIA LE (1991 - 1993)
        TOYOTA VAN WAGON CRG (1986 - 1989)
        TOYOTA VAN WAGON DX (1986 - 1989)
        TOYOTA VAN WAGON LE (1986 - 1989)

So I would imagine if you could find a junkyard pump for one of those above cars you would be golden.
        Last edited by big_ty2003; 10-27-2010, 06:17 PM.

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

IF you think its the fuel pump, first take a look at the inertia switch, it could have tripped causing the fuel pump to not turn on, the inertia switch is located under the rear drivers speaker panel, that would be the easiest thing to check first

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

PERFECT!

Lol, yes I'm sure it has gas in it. I put two gallons in and was surprised when it hit 1/4 tank!
            1963 Ford F-100
            1992 Ford Festiva
            2006 Audi A4
            2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

Ok, I took off the panel and there is a little black switch looking thing with a red circle on top. Is this the Inertia switch? How do I tell if its bad. Any pictures?
              1963 Ford F-100
              1992 Ford Festiva
              2006 Audi A4
              2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

If the red button is pushed up, simply reset it by pushing it back down.
                Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

^^Exactly.... basically the inertia switch is a curcuit breaker for the fuel pump so i've never heard of one going bad, but every now and then you hear of them tripping and needing to be reset

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

If I can recall it was already pushed down but I'll try just reseting it. I've fooled around with cars my whole life and have never heard of anything like that. I guess you learn something new everyday. What's its purpose? Simply a circuit breaker incase lightning strikes it?
                    1963 Ford F-100
                    1992 Ford Festiva
                    2006 Audi A4
                    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

The inertia switch turns the fuel pump off if the car body receives a hard enough hit, as in a collision. That way if your ignition switch is still on after a crash in which a fuel line is busted, the pump doesn't spurt gas all over creation.

Sometimes a hard smack or bump from something might set off the switch.

If your fuel pump ain't running, check the relay under the dash, the VAF meter continuity and the wiring, in addition to the fuel pump and inertia switch. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Karl
                      Last edited by Safety Guy; 11-03-2010, 05:55 AM.
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

accident

In case you are in an accident and get hit or roll over, you don't want the fuel pump to continue pumping gas, if you are unable to turn the key off.

DISCLAIMER: Activities and vehicle modifications appearing or described at The Ranger Station and it’s pages may be potentially dangerous. We do not endorse any such activity for others or recommend it to any particular person – we simply describe the experiences … Continued

Comment

Well the button was already depressed so I popped it up, pressed it down, popped it up and pressed it down again. Still nothing. Engine turns and battery and start are fine.

Any pictures of the relay? Not really sure what I'm looking for here.
                          1963 Ford F-100
                          1992 Ford Festiva
                          2006 Audi A4
                          2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

Well I got up under my dash and fiddled with whatever I saw. There were tons of little connections I tightened, but still nothing.

How would I know if the VAF is bad?
                            1963 Ford F-100
                            1992 Ford Festiva
                            2006 Audi A4
                            2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

what year festiva is this? Possible causes for a EFI festiva not starting would be bad mass air flow and if it cranks but doesnt start check for fuel pressure in the rails. If none could be a bad fuel pump. check the main relays to see if they are getting power or clicking on when turning the key. hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                              X