oil light!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil light!!!!!!!!!

OK, i have a problem, i have an 89 1.3L fi auto, only has 110000 kelometers and has run fine up till now, the engine has always felt smooth and doesn't burn oil, well, this morning i was on my way to work, and when i came to a stop, the oil light came on.....i instantly shut the car off and check the oil.....full.........so i start it up, and i notice it only comes on at low idel, or if i put it in gear,(when the engine idle drops) I listened to the engine running, and it sounds fine (not clacking like an oil starved engine), and im wondering if the oil pump is on it way out, but why would the oil pump just go, on such a low kelometer engine, and why would the engine not sound like its oil starved, do you think its just the sender? I also drove the car for another hour after this on the highway, and the light never came on till low idel again at a red light (i had to get to work)
    any help is apreiciated

Yeah, could be the sender. I had an MR2 do that to me in the middle of a long road trip. Pulled over in a panic, checked the oil, everything fine. Light would come on and go off randomly after that. Replaced sender when I got the chance, problem went away.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Is it possible the oil pickup screen has crud on it?
      I'd change the oil pressure sender, like Tominmo suggests, with either a new one or known good unit.
      Anyone know the test procedure for an oil pressure sender?
      Or even if there is one!

Otherwise drop the pan and check the pickup?

Do it do it when it cold?
      Last edited by Pu241; 11-08-2010, 09:40 AM.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

shouldn't i hear if the engine is starving of oil, like everything sounds exactaly the same, but it worries me that it is comming on at idle, indication low bearing pressure, and if the oil pump was operation at a reduced output, this is when it would do it is at low idle.....

Comment

Remove the oil pressure sender. Replace with good pressure gauge. If only temporarily. This will tell you what you need to know.

Comment

i don't have an extra sender or gauge to test that with.........

Comment

hears some trouble shooting points i determined, oil thickness seems to have no effect on the light, telling me its the sender is failing. when the cars at idle in park, the light is just barely flickering, if i plop it into drive, its on steady, and as soon as i give it any gass, it goes out , so i went out and added (with the car running) a half bottle of lucus oil stabilizer, effectively thicking the oil quite a bit, which should have increased oil pressure enough to put out the light at idle, but it doesn't, actually, it didn't change it even a little, it was still just barely flickering,The only thing is, when i first start the car (cold) it goes out also as normal, but comes on as the oil warms up (thins out) ......this symptom i don't like that much.....................a worn engine also does this, but this engine shows NO signs if high wear, like it doesn't clack, its not loud, the lower end of the engine doesn't rattle or sound loose, and the crank pulley is streight as a pin at idle, and it runds good at idle aswell, and as i stated, it burns no oil either, man i hope its the sender, this car works good otherwise...................
              Last edited by funky technician; 11-08-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Take the valve cover off and start it. If you get a mess, you're fine.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

actually i just looked into the oil fill hole, i can see one of the lifters there, its shooting oil out, gave er a few shots of gass, and oil was shooting around

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post

Do it do it when it cold?
                    Huh?? Is that even English??

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                      Huh?? Is that even English??
                      Can't type as fast as I think and too stupid to read it before I hit "submit"!

Should have said "Does it do it when it's cold?"
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                        Can't type as fast as I think and too stupid to read it before I hit "submit"!

Should have said "Does it do it when it's cold?"
                        Perhaps your former boss's speech patterns are rubbing off on you....
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

it doesn't do it as bad when its cold, the oil's thicker, once it warms

Comment

Originally posted by funky technician View Post
                            actually i just looked into the oil fill hole, i can see one of the lifters there, its shooting oil out, gave er a few shots of gass, and oil was shooting around
                            If you can see oil "shooting out", then you are ok. Most idiot light oil pressure sending units are set to turn on at around 5 lb. psi. If you see oil shooting out, then you have a lot more than 5 pounds of oil pressure.
                            You gonna race that thing?
                            http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

ya, pritty sure its the sendor, the light actually came on at about 70 KPH and then go out and on and off, its doing it whenever now, so i'm pritty convinced its the sender, i'll write back if the motor blows up LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X