What is this....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this....

The tubes (on 88-89 models) from the exhaust manifold to air cleaner....and tube from cleaner to catalytic converter. I know it is part of emissions system, heats fuel/air, but the tube from exhuast actually has pressure coming out of it (blows) like there is a pump attached. The tube to the cat has reverse pressure(sucks). What is driving the pressure. Is it working off the exhaust, and "siphoning" it on the cat side?
    Pic below of the way mine is now, with all the v. lines and emissions stuff gone. I just took one end of the hose, stuck it on the other for flow thru.
    I have seen these tubes cut and bent over to kink it closed on other cars, but does not seem the best way to do it.

Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Are you sure a performance muffler shop can't just cut off the excess tube from down below where the cat is, pinch and weld it shut.

Or, just substitute a cat from an EFI Festiva, which doesn't have the tube.

There is a different flange on the EFI downpipe. No tube hole.
    Are you still running an oxygen sensor? I put an oil drain plug in the hole

What happens if you unplug the three connectors from your ECU (computer)?
    You should be able to run without it.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 11-17-2010, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I just put a large bolt in mine and put a hose clamp on them. They have been that way for several years now. I then took the stuff off the side of the air cleaner, put some aluminum tape over the holes in the air cleaner , then painted the tape black
      1960 willys pickup
      1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
      1989 festiva
      1990 festiva for parts
      1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I can' believe you put this post on here. I just walked in the door from taking mine off! I made a cool little steel plate to cover up the exhaust manifold hole, and plugged the cat rubber hose with a bolt. Might make it better later. By the way thanks for giving me the Idea of the Weber upgrade! My car is much quicker and runs way smoother than it ever has. I'll let everyone know how the MPGs are when I know. I already had a performance cam from FMS and my car is really fun to drive now.

Comment

Have either of you disconnected the computer control module? If you have and it still runs great. You can get rid of it also.

Comment

I just kept my MAP sensor, o2 sensor, and EGR valve intact and the CEL stays out even with the carburetor wires unhooked. In the fuiture I would like to get the dashpot for the air conditioner hooked back up If I am successful I will probably still need the computer. It's not hurting anything and the computer still thinks the engine is happy.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
              Have either of you disconnected the computer control module? If you have and it still runs great. You can get rid of it also.
              No, I have not done this. It is an intersting idea though. Is yours disconnected? I will have to try this. Thanks...
              Dan

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Originally posted by zoe60 View Post
                I can' believe you put this post on here. I just walked in the door from taking mine off! I made a cool little steel plate to cover up the exhaust manifold hole, and plugged the cat rubber hose with a bolt. Might make it better later. By the way thanks for giving me the Idea of the Weber upgrade! My car is much quicker and runs way smoother than it ever has. I'll let everyone know how the MPGs are when I know. I already had a performance cam from FMS and my car is really fun to drive now.
                You're welcome! I bet it does run good with a cam! Mine runs good to a point. I can feel where the stock cam falls off, and for performance, a performance cam would keep it pulling at that rpm where the stock cam falls off.
                I think I inspired about a half dozen people or more to change their carbs.
                If someone has a carb that is running good, i'd stay with it, but if the carb starts messing up, I wouldnt hesitate to do the changeover.
                My idle is unbelievebly smooth now. This car is also an absolute terror 1st gear thru most of 3rd gear too now. It falls off a little, middle of 3rd to 4th gear.
                Dan

R.I.P.
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Google "Ford pulse air system"
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Now you guys have me wanting to play with a Weber carby car!

I had a Weber put on my '81 Civic 1500DX, but didn't know how to maximize it and sold the car soon after back in '87.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                      Now you guys have me wanting to play with a Weber carby car!

I had a Weber put on my '81 Civic 1500DX, but didn't know how to maximize it and sold the car soon after back in '87.

Karl
                      ^^^ See? Theres goes another one. I think you'all just wanna play with your cars! :p
                      Dan

R.I.P.
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Does a carbed B3 have a centrifugal PLUS vacuum advance distributor?
                        In the late 60s-early70s we tailored the advance curve where it was quicker to reach full advance. Changed springs and reshaped the weights. We had access to a Sun dist. machine where we could read the advance at various RPM and in.Hg.
                        Soon after the DIY appeared in magazines, kits became available to get er done.

Comment

Based on what I've seen, its just vacuum that you can play with. Some of the older vacuum pots have the adjustment screw welded over. The good ones have the Phillip head unviolated. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I have 10 distributors that I can take pictures of.
                          Last edited by bravekozak; 11-18-2010, 10:50 PM.

Comment

I am in the slow process of putting a weber on. Time... doesnt seem to be enough. What I did is I cut the tube off of the exhaust manifold and had my buddy weld it shut then bolted it back on. For the one for the cat I am doing what everyone else is doing, putting a bolt in it. However, I am going to put it in the second rubber hose to get rid of most of the pipe.
                            Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

Working...
                            X