99 Ranger won't idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Ranger won't idle

1999 Ford Ranger.4cyl,auto.It use-to not idle well in the cold and when it was wet out.It was only here and there,though.Then it happened more often,but,you would drive it a while and it would start right up and idle fine.Sometimes ,shortly after starting in the morning,I would stop at a stop sign or traffic light and it would want to stall. Prob something stupid.It could be many things,but,I figured I'd ask here first,in case someone on here is familiar with this.

IAC sticking would be my guess, while you're checking that, also clean the throtle body and passages. other thing to look for is leaks in the intake tube AFTER your MAF (like in the corrigated areas).
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      IAC sticking would be my guess, while you're checking that, also clean the throtle body and passages. other thing to look for is leaks in the intake tube AFTER your MAF (like in the corrigated areas).
      +1 ours done the same thing. All we done was cleaned the throttle plate and made sure everything was moving freely.
      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

+2 I had the same thing happen to me. Except my truck is newer. I would clean the IAC, EGR valve and the passages, Mainly the passages. I had to take a screwdriver and chip out the carbon build up. It shouldent be that hard if you are mechanically inclined. I used carb cleaner on mine.
        Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

Had advance scan it .Came up with codes P1507,P1401 and P0402.All EGR and IAC.

Comment

Yours is the 8 plug setup?

Comment

sounds like an easy fix then Tony, git'er dun!

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                Yours is the 8 plug setup?
                8 plug setup ? I dunno.

Comment

The 4 banger with 8 spark plugs?

Comment

yes,4cyl and 8 plugs...

Comment

never understood the 8 plug setup.... have seen it but never understood the principle behind it...
                      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                      89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                      Projects in the works:
                      84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Emissions.. cleaner burn
                        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Took off IAC , cleaned it with alcohol and then carb cleaner....WAAALAAAA ! Fantastic idle,now.Now I have to clean the egr...we'll see how that goes.

Comment

good to hear!

Comment

Working...
                            X