Possibly the first two speed Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly the first two speed Festiva

Well I was driving to school with two of my buddys, when the tranny on my 89 started grinding and popping, almost sending us through the windshield. We pulled over thinking the car was fried, but after the car was shut off I realized that we could still get it in all the gears, being almost to school and not wanting to make my buddies late we continued on. On the way home there was considerable chatter coming from the gearbox, but I was in fourth gear and we were moving so why stop. Then I tried downshifting and there was nothing below but 1st, so now I take off in first rev it out and shift to second. So to make a long story short I need to know what kind of transmission fits my car, it is a four speed, a 89, the L model. I was also wondering if anyother cars had this transmission and what I should expect to pay for a different one.

You can put a four speed or a five speed from any year festiva in your car. The cases are all the same for the festivas, so I would upgrade to a five speed when you replace yours.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

ok that sounds great, so there is no difference, at least with mating up a 5 speed to a 4, awesome. How big of a job am I looking at here, i have changed transmissions in other cars, are these perty easy to work on?

Comment

Originally posted by b_rad
        ok that sounds great, so there is no difference, at least with mating up a 5 speed to a 4, awesome. How big of a job am I looking at here, i have changed transmissions in other cars, are these perty easy to work on?
        Very easy.

It helps to yank the engine out to replace the transmission.

You should replace the clutch too- a new one is only $100.

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

is it necessary to pull the motor, because i don't know if I would have those resources, is it possible to remove trans without pulling the motor?

Comment

Originally posted by b_rad
            is it necessary to pull the motor, because i don't know if I would have those resources, is it possible to remove trans without pulling the motor?
            No. It can be done without removing the engine.

I've done it before but I'm sure some people here have and can tell you how it went for them.

Regards,

Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I have changed several festiva transmissions and never had to pull the motor. Get yourself a haynes or factory manual and it will lead you through the necessary steps. You can get them off of E-bay.

God is good
              Hopy-d

Comment

thanks guys this website is almost as awesome as the car itself

Comment

Working...
                X