Clutch shudder/slip question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch shudder/slip question

One of my several 1993 blue 5-speeds ...

I bought this particular Festy three years ago with 101K on it and just started driving it recently. The clutch has always "shuddered" badly on engagement, but I figured I could live with that. Now, it seems to be slipping in 3rd and higher. Example: 15% upslope in 3rd at 35mph and I floor the accelerator. RPM (per the sound) goes up, but speed remains 35, with no additional vibration.

Does the shudder on engagement indicate that I need to do serious machining, such as refacing the flywheel, at clutch replacement?

It's wet, cold, dark, and wet, and -- did I say -- wet, here in the Pacific NW for 9 months of the year, so I'm really not looking to do this myself, particularly if it requires machining. When I bought the car, the seller told me the clutch was slipping and gave me a new clutch kit. The local Ford dealer offered to do the replacement for $250 of labor if I provided the new clutch. Does that sound like a good deal if he'll honor his quote now, three years later? My search on this site shows everything from "$100" to "6.6 hours."
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

If somebody said $250 to me. I would say awesome. My time and effort in the little garage of mine is worth that much to me. I get to experiance the same wet, cold and dark as well.

-Scott
    Aqua 93 L
    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Mitchell labor guide calls for 4.1hrs
      Around here you would be looking at $250-$300 +/- for labor alone, pending the shop per hour rate of course.
      Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
      1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

around here 250 isn't bad at all for a clutch to be replaced. but that's the shops in the bean fields of Illinois.
        1973 Cb750 haven't touched it yet with no idea what I am planning on doing with it
        1978 25th Anniversary edition Corvette
        1983 Chevy Elcamino
        1993 Ford Festiva GL
        2003 Hyundia Santa Fe ( Wifes Daily driver)
        some old dodge motorhome I have no idea of the year

Comment

So does the bad shudder (shakes the whole car) at engagement mean anything (such as warped flywheel from previous owner perhaps abusing the car), or is that just how clutches go bad before they're obviously slipping.

I've got other Festies with lots more than 106K where there's no indication (from services records that came with them) of the clutch ever having been replaced.

My 64 Volvo PV544 4-speed went over 250,000 miles of city driving and never needed a clutch. It was hydraulically actuated, so maybe that made a difference?
          88L black, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
            So does the bad shudder (shakes the whole car) at engagement mean anything (such as warped flywheel from previous owner perhaps abusing the car), or is that just how clutches go bad before they're obviously slipping.

I've got other Festies with lots more than 106K where there's no indication (from services records that came with them) of the clutch ever having been replaced.

My 64 Volvo PV544 4-speed went over 250,000 miles of city driving and never needed a clutch. It was hydraulically actuated, so maybe that made a difference?
            I think the flywheel needs replacing too; warped or cracked. I've had vehicles that badly needed a clutch but did not have this shudder problem. And when I had Casper, it shuddered a lot, and did have a bad flywheel.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks, TominMO. I think what I should do is NOT tear inito this car until I have a spare flywheel or three within reach, which I should be able to scarf from my AK engine junkpile in the spring. Thanks.
              88L black, dailydriver
              4 88/89 disassembled
              91L green
              91GL aqua pwrsteer
              92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Flywheel..

Have a machine shop grind the flywheel. I usually charge no more than $40 for that type of flywheel. DO NOT install a new clutch and pressure plate without proper grinding of the flywheel.

Comment

Found a new flywheel and clutch assb on ebay for 150............just have to crawl under it and do it.

Comment

Lowriderglen,

Understood. That would just destroy the new clutch, worse then installing new disk brake pads bad rotors.

So I guess the flywheel unbolts easily from what can only be the end of the crankshaft, right?
                    88L black, dailydriver
                    4 88/89 disassembled
                    91L green
                    91GL aqua pwrsteer
                    92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Well, the local Ford dealer, who a few years ago quoted me $250, now wants over $400, claiming that's because it takes 4 hours and he's raised his hourly rates. PLUS, he says that if the flywheel is bad, he wants another more than $400 for a "new" (sure, you betcha) one.

I recall a few years ago that he'd intially quoted me ridiculous pricing, then called me back on his own a few days/weeks later offering the $250 deal. So maybe he'll have hunger pains and that will happen again!
                      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 01-29-2011, 12:19 PM.
                      88L black, dailydriver
                      4 88/89 disassembled
                      91L green
                      91GL aqua pwrsteer
                      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Th new clutch kit I have (the guy I bought the car from a few years ago gave it to me) simply has this on the box:

W07-068
                        7-1/8" Ford Clutch Kit
                        bar code # 6 - 78978 - 01252 - 5

None of this gets any useful hits with Google.

It came with one big (throwout?) bearing and one smaller one that just fits over the end of the included splined plastic tool. See photos.

Is this the (or a) proper Festy clutch kit?
                        Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 01-31-2011, 10:55 PM.
                        88L black, dailydriver
                        4 88/89 disassembled
                        91L green
                        91GL aqua pwrsteer
                        92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Are we still good for Thursday? I've been researching today so I have a little background help. Did the clutch kit come with the tool to put in the throw out bearing? Or at least that's what I think my dad said the special tool was for...

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
                          91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

It's the splined plastic thing in the second photo. I'm guessing that it's used to align the "friction disk" while bolting the other part to the flywheel, "sandwiching" the friction disk between two metal surfaces by the pressure of the springs in the other part. Then, the tool may be removed and the gearbox bolted back onto the engine using the new throwout bearing.
                            88L black, dailydriver
                            4 88/89 disassembled
                            91L green
                            91GL aqua pwrsteer
                            92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Did the clutch job in carport today.

For details, ee:
                              88L black, dailydriver