lots of smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lots of smoke

so, i was cruising down the highway for about 30 minutes then the heat cuts out. (i didnt know much about the heating system, well i do now) so i just kept driving. i stopped to turn left and alot of smoke came from my hood. i look and antifreeze is everywhere. i take the cap off and there is frozen antifreeze around it so i clean that all off see that it works and put it back on. i cant find a leak anywhere so i figure there was to much pressure so it came out of the upper rad hose engine side.(lots of smoke from there)

I just happened to have some fluid with me so i put that in there and keep going (its not full but im 15minutes to the next town. should be able to make it)

i keep driving and notice that i cant go over 90km even if i floor it. i look at the temp and instead of 1/3 of the way up (normal operating temp for me) its 2/3 the way up. i pull over and the car stalled on me as i slowed down. i pop the hood and i still cant find a leak and the cap is working fine.

i got my hands on some antifreeze fill up the rad. the car was cool by then so i start it up and it starts VERY hard like there is way to much friction. i think i know what happened but the temp never got that high.

because my car has been breaking ALOT the last couple of months i decide to try to drive again(just didnt care) besides i was in -33C windchill for 2:45 and not dressed for it.

was good for a while even went 100km then smoke everywhere including cabin alot. look and finally i saw the leak nice big crack in coolant hose.

today i find out the temp sensor is junk so who knows how hot it really got. i fixed the hose, filled the car up with antifreeze and started it (without cap) to let all the air work its way out. when i turn it on (very hard) antifreeze shoots 1meter into the air and the fan is always running. and my exhaust is very white and could create its own large cloud. i checked the thermostat and its closed but not stuck.

oh and i have a new leak. front main seal.
    now the only thing i want to do is take my 16pound sledgehammer and have some fun.

i apologize for writing so much just thought i would give you the whole story.

do you guys think that if i fix all the leaks and just let it run it will be ok?oh and why did the antifreeze shoot out like that?

any help, insight, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Tim S

My guess is the bad temp sensor never let you know the true temp of the engine. And the cooling system was low on coolant as well.
    It overheated and the head gasket blew. Hense the lack of power and excessive pressure in the cooling system.
    Last edited by leapin; 01-16-2011, 03:38 PM.

-Scott
    Aqua 93 L
    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Heat cutting out should have told you to stop right away and check things out. No heat means no coolant going thru the heater core. Either you list your coolant or you lost your water pump belt.

After that much driving like that and what you describe a head gasket is the best case scenario. My more realistic guess would be a cracked or warped head.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

now that i have cooled off a little and thought things through im with you guys on it being head gasket/warped head.

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
        Heat cutting out should have told you to stop right away and check things out. No heat means no coolant going thru the heater core. Either you list your coolant or you lost your water pump belt.
        i had never cared to learn about a cars heating system just because i had never had an issue with it so i was unaware. figured it was an electrical thing. well, i know lots about it now. better late than never i guess :p

thanks for the insight. ill decide what i want to do with it another time. for now im going to go eat supper.
        Tim S

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
          Either you list your coolant or you lost your water pump belt.
          If he had lost the belt the charge light would have lit, because the water pump and Alt belt are one and the same.
          I know this because I lost a head and head gasket due to losing the belt and because I was driving into the sun I never saw the charge light go off.
          By the time I did see it it was way late.

Unfortunately, betting on at least a head gasket and if you decide to repair it, you really need to have the head checked for warping.

Sorry to hear this!
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

compression test it before u go and pull the head. or pull the rad cap and start it and see if it bubbles at idle cold.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
            1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
            R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
            00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
            03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
            pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
            Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
            Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

^^ as long as i have owned the car the compression has never been perfect so i already know the answer lol. i think it was 168 180 176 154 last time.

if i pull the cap and start it the rad fluid shoots out about 1 meter high all over the engine.

PU241-Thanks, in a way im disappointed but in another way im ready to move on. only problem is that there is no other car as practical as the festiva.
              Tim S

Comment

Originally posted by Slyder View Post
                ^^ as long as i have owned the car the compression has never been perfect so i already know the answer lol. i think it was 168 180 176 154 last time.

if i pull the cap and start it the rad fluid shoots out about 1 meter high all over the engine.

PU241-Thanks, in a way im disappointed but in another way im ready to move on. only problem is that there is no other car as practical as the festiva.
                Head gasket. Your blowing compression through the cooling system. I seen this same thing with a suzuki. Now is the time for a bp swap!
                89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Working...
                X