New to the World of Festivas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the World of Festivas...

Hello everyone! Hopefully everyone gives me a warm welcome here!

I recently bought a 92 Festiva for $500. Before buying it, I did some research on the car and I got pretty excited about what these cars are capable of.

I own a 1978 Datsun 280Z and owned a 1991 Nissan 300ZX so I'm pretty experienced with working on cars. I'm going to do some searching around this forum later tonight, but I just wanted to introduce myself. To be honest, this is my first hot hatch car.

The car I bought already has a lot of things done to it, so pretty much I'm starting where the previous owner left off. The car runs and drives, but needs a little TLC in a few areas.

Stuff the car came with:
    -A Japanese B6F (The US ones were carbed, no?)
    -A Half cage
    -Stripped interior
    -Pioneer sound system (sounds great)
    -Five Speed transmission from Ford Aspire
    -Brakes from Ford Aspire
    -Aftermarket tach, water temp gauge, and volt meter.
    -Battery relocated to rear

Things that need TLC:
    -Quarter sized rust hole on driver's side floor.
    -Exhaust needs to be welded back on (literally running on open headers)
    -Small crack on windshield (I'll just give safelite a call)
    -Found another quarter sized rust hole in the hatch area
    -Wiring...the aftermarket gauges only work when the headlights are on
    -Cooling fans require a separate toggle switch...again just need to look into the wiring.
    -Racing clutch; don't know the brand, but it grabs pretty strong.

Things I'm looking to do with the car:
    -Weld up all rust holes
    -Paint job: The car has the whole "Bumblebee" thing going on
    -Reinstall interior panels
    -Tune-up
    -Fix exhaust

Questions regarding the car:
    -The B6 engine had a turbocharged cousin, the B6T. Coming from the 300ZX's VG30 engine, I just want to know if the compression ratio for the B6F is the same as the B6T? On the 300ZXs, their non turbo engines had 10.5:1, while the twin turbos had 8.5:1. Is it the same case for the B6 engines or is the turbo literally a factory bolt-on? I may look into installing a turbo because I live in a hilly area.

I'm not really looking into serious power, which is why I didn't really look into the BP swaps. I figured 130hp from a B6T is balanced enough. Again, this is my commuter/winter/fun car. (280Z will be my summer/emergency car) Just want it to look good and stay reliable. I'll be posting pics soon, and again I will be looking around the site for information later on...just wanted to say a quick hi before I go to work.
    "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
    --Anonymous

Must. have. pics!!! Haha, but seriously.....we love pics!
    Edit: Now that I read your WHOLE intro I see you plan on posting pics. I think I remember this one from craigslist though. Looked like it was a great deal!
    Last edited by lanemeyer14; 01-20-2011, 02:34 PM.
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Welcome!

I remember that car from when it was posted on here when it was on Craigslist.

I dont think the turbo DOHC B6 stuff will directly bolt onto the SOHC B6. The N/A had a slightly higher compression ratio but its fine to add a turbo. Here is a good build that shows a turbo being added to a SOHC B6. http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27022
      '90 LX

Comment

^

great buy & you will love this site!
        Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

I'm from Providence, RI and I wouldn't see how you would see it in Colorado or North Carolina....oh well, glad you saw it. I would post pics now but it's dark.

Another question: Did the Festiva come with another speedometer that reads over 85mph? And how hard would it be to install if I did it myself? I'm coming from my 300ZX, which pretty much shot down my confidence in taking a dashboard apart.

And are the clutches in these cars usually low? Most likely I have air in my lines but it seems like the clutch doesn't grab until I'm about halfway off the clutch pedal.
          "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
          --Anonymous

Comment

Welcome!! I currently own a 1990 300ZX 2+2 on 20" rims, but I'm getting rid of it tomorrow :lol: my festiva is way faster, but the Z turned way more heads lol

For your clutch issues, festiva's use a cable, not hydro like the Z's and the overseas gauges went to 110 mph or 180kmh and they very easy to change compared to a Z
            Last edited by Damkid; 01-20-2011, 05:15 PM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by chaosdrifter06 View Post
              I'm from Providence, RI and I wouldn't see how you would see it in Colorado or North Carolina....oh well, glad you saw it..
              It was listed on Craigslist.com and posted on here as well
              "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

PU241 (John Jacks) is up your way, i'll tell him to look you up.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Welcome!!! you are bound to recieve great creative information and tons of connections here. From what I have experienced; most everyone here is super nice and have a good sense of humor as well. we are looking forward to photos of your new ride!
                  91' Festiva GL <AKA> "Little Boy Blue"
                  --------------------------------------------------

Comment

you bought the yellow on up north we saw that one i wanted to get up there an pick up but never made congrads on the buy and welcome to the site
                    Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

FYI Chaos, the B6 (na) came in 2 CRs, 9.4 for the manuals and 9.7 for the autos. nothing about the B6 will work with the B6T turbo equip. different head, pistons, intake and exhaust, and the turbo block came with piston squirters and more stout rods and crank. the only thing that is the same is the bare block itself.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                        FYI Chaos, the B6 (na) came in 2 CRs, 9.4 for the manuals and 9.7 for the autos. nothing about the B6 will work with the B6T turbo equip. different head, pistons, intake and exhaust, and the turbo block came with piston squirters and more stout rods and crank. the only thing that is the same is the bare block itself.
                        Darn...I really didn't want to spend a lot of money equipping a turbo...oh well...

Knowing NA engines that became turbo, there's not much you can do to increase power. All I can see is intake, exhaust, and underdrive pulleys.

Unless it's safe to install a low pressure turbo like on the Volvo Station wagons, add an intercooler system (have a ton of space, battery is re-located in the back).

Oh, and are there any shifter upgrades? The factory shifter feels like I'm shifting a semi, the throw is so long.

I'm starting to like this car...there's a lot of room in the hood and seems like everything that is necessary is within reach like my 78 280Z. The 300ZXs were such a pain to work on.
                        --Anonymous

Comment

I'm from Providence, RI and I wouldn't see how you would see it in Colorado or North Carolina....oh well, glad you saw it. I would post pics now but it's dark.

Another question: Did the Festiva come with another speedometer that reads over 85mph? And how hard would it be to install if I did it myself? I'm coming from my 300ZX, which pretty much shot down my confidence in taking a dashboard apart.

And are the clutches in these cars usually low? Most likely I have air in my lines but it seems like the clutch doesn't grab until I'm about halfway off the clutch pedal.
                          If you had posted your location in your profile on your first post, I'd have invited you to meet me and JPT for Chinese across the street from the Hilton at the Providence/Warwick airport.

Yes, there are other speedos which read higher but they're rare or you could do some creative speedo swapping which has been documented on this site.
                          Going to have to use search or check with TominMO and a few other I do not recall.

These are not hydraulic clutches, so you need to make a clutch cable adjustment.
                          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                          Your holy ghost will not save you.
                          Your God plutonium will not save you.
                          In fact...
                          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Darn...I really didn't want to spend a lot of money equipping a turbo...oh well...

Knowing NA engines that became turbo, there's not much you can do to increase power. All I can see is intake, exhaust, and underdrive pulleys.

Unless it's safe to install a low pressure turbo like on the Volvo Station wagons, add an intercooler system (have a ton of space, battery is re-located in the back).
                            chaos, take a look at the link I posted. It shows that you can add a turbo to the NA engine, and the mod can be done easily and cheaply.

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
                            Here is a good build that shows a turbo being added to a SOHC B6. http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27022
                            '90 LX

Comment

Oh, and are there any shifter upgrades? The factory shifter feels like I'm shifting a semi, the throw is so long.

I'm starting to like this car...there's a lot of room in the hood and seems like everything that is necessary is within reach like my 78 280Z. The 300ZXs were such a pain to work on.
                              Find a Capri XR2 and swap the entire drivetrain, it has a B6T (1.6 DOHC turbo) and it came with the G series tranny (biggest/strongest tranny that swaps into a festiva) and you can re-use the capri axles since they are based on the same chassis, fabricate some mounts, do a bit of wiring and you have yourself at least a 14 second car

i ran a 14.5 with my B6T and a very crappy 60ft time and i had absolutely no mods to my B6T except exhaust and an intercooler

For the shifter, its very common for the bushing at the tranny to wear out and disappear causing the linkage to be very sloppy, the bushings are a matter of a few dollars and will fix your issue

and i can totally relate to how much of a pain the Z's are to work on lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                              X