Rear Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brakes

I have a 93 festiva L and the rear brakes are not working very well. When it is jacked up i can still turn the rear tire while the brakes are being applied. Any ideas on what it could be?
    Also, anybody know how to take the rear drums apart? does it require anything special?
    help would be appriciated.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

could me one or two of many things........from the master cylinder back to the drums........
    Best you spend some time reading posts from others on here about brakes.

Comment

first, does your e-brake work PROPERLY? on BOTH wheels? if not, address the adjuster pivot pin, it's frozen with rust. (20min with some PB and anti-sieze and a hammer and/or vise). if it's a hydrolic issue, replace wheel cylinders and/or soft lines at the swing arm piviot.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yes, if you can't release the e-brake it's likely the exposed pivot pin (clevis pin) behind the wheel. The arms rust to the pins if you don't use the e-brake. Regular use should keep them from doing that.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It take

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
          1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
          R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
          00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
          03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
          pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
          Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
          Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Working...
          X