B6t swap failed emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6t swap failed emissions

Here in California if you change the engine from one not originally assigned to the vehicle you have to take it to the Bureau of Automotive Repair so they can verify everything. I passed the visual part but failed the emissions part.

It was fun because the referee was confused most of the time
    Problems. 1) Exhaust leaks 2) timing 3) emissions too high

What wrong with this picture?

When I reached for the thermostat housing I also touched the distributor and got shocked, the referees assistant did too:laughing8: Fastivab6t said it was probably the reason the timing read so high.

Heres the emissions part, Any recommendations on how to fix this? I didn't change the oil before going so I'm hoping fresh oil will fix the HC part.

Can exhaust leaks be the culprit for emissions being so bad?

Also when I went to smog another festy the guy made sure the gas cap was on tight. The referee did the EVAP test and never put the gas cap back on. Does this affect anything?
    Last edited by Grey Vw; 02-04-2011, 10:24 PM.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Fix your timing issue. If the Ignition timing is off HC will be allover the place. Does your b6t have an EGR valve? Is the engine fresh or a used one? Run seafoam through it to burn off the carbon. You may have to replace the cat with NO that high.
    Previous:
    1991 GL. (01' ranger lights!) P/S,A/C Sold to Mum.
    1990 auto. hacked up rally toy.
    1988 5 speed. The pile
    1993 5 speed.
    1995 5 speed aspire. Gutted for the 90' auto.

Comment

I had a problem with both HC and NOX on my test, mind you I have the original B3 engine... I didn't have a cat on my exhaust at all, so I'm going to replace that and I was also instructed to retard my ignition timings slightly, this will apparently reduce NOX. We'll see how it goes when I go back for another emissions test...

I was looking at two options for the source of my problem: Catalytic converter or O2 sensor. Apparently those are the most common reasons for both high HC and high NOX...
      1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

More cheers more beers, that's it that's all.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to fix the timing issue first.
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

Well I think I found the problem. Fastivab6t said to check the spark plug wires and I didn't do that until today. Edit:#2 was firing
          A corroded wire and one not even making contact. I did spark plugs, disty cap and rotor but didn't do the wires.

Last edited by Grey Vw; 02-05-2011, 05:22 PM.
          14 C7 Z51

Comment

LOL shame on you. Always replace the cheap stuff first. My brother spent major cash on a distributor to find a wire just like that on his car. You're another hero of mine tho, id love to get a b6t legal swap going myself but sold my engine to catch up on bills.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Well I failed again It went alright this time though, the referee took a quick glance over everything and started testing it. I checked my timing with my mechanic and it was at 11, the referee got 18? Fastivab6t had the same problem with them not being able to read the timing correctly.

I changed the oil, oil filter, o2 sensor and fixed the leaks. I also connected some loose grounds.

Everything improved except for the low speed NOx.

I'm planning on changing the fuel filter and thermostat and trying again. The festiva was actually driven there instead of just idling to warm up. Could the cat have cooled off and then warmed up to work fine for the high speed?

The ref didn't even check if it was the right cat, he obviously hates his job:happy3:
              Last edited by Grey Vw; 02-16-2011, 08:31 PM. Reason: Wrong pic
              14 C7 Z51

Comment

that guy needs to learn how to read a strobe light, and what does timing have to do with testing? if it's clean out the pipe, who cares what the timing is?!
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Does anything the government does make sense these days...lol
                  14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    that guy needs to learn how to read a strobe light, and what does timing have to do with testing? if it's clean out the pipe, who cares what the timing is?!
                    Timing affects emission output. His high NOx is because his cylinders are running hotter than they should be. Guess what the reason for that? Ignition Timing too advanced.

When I saw 50 btdc I nearly choked. That is really too high. Drop it another 5 degrees, to bring the NOx within limit.

Comment

How old is that cat? You should just get a brand new one with removable flanges so you can take it off and have a "fresh one" for next time. As far as the timing....that's crappy don't know what the call is there other then retarding it a few more degrees to get it in the threshhold they want. I don't smoke at all but if/when I push a car thru BAR im going to light up a $50 stick.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Lol you'll only have to smoke a 1/4inch of that $50 stick. If I had money I would buy a new cat, the cat I have is the original one .
                        14 C7 Z51

Comment

There lies your problem. A new cat put my NOx gross polluter camry right back in the game. It needed a new EGR and all kinds of stuff.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                          X