Wet car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perucho View Post
    Have you tried spraying the window gaskets with silicone?
    Originally posted by Festiva Time View Post
    There is "Silicone Spray" a lubricant, and then there is "Silicone sealant". Please clarify.

I don't know of any silicone sealant that comes in a spray can, do you? In any case, the silicone lubricant (which does come in a spray can) will "hydrate" the window gasket and seal the pits that form on old rubber.
    Oscar

Comment

The quarter window could leak and wet either the rear floorboard or the rear cargo floor so don't assume that a rear cargo floor issue is the tail lamp.

If the quarter window isn't sucking up securely on the gasket you can back out the screws that hold the latch on the car and place a shim between the latch and the car body. This will suck the window more into the gasket.

If you want to rule out the quarter window as the culprit you can take 2" masking tape and tape the glass all the way around. You'll also want to run some tape around the hatch and tail lamp. Basically you're putting the tape on to deflect the water flow.

You can then hose the car down really well and see if it leaks. Start hosing at the top. If the tape stops your problem then peel off the tape around the tail lamp and repeat. If there's still no problem peel the tape around the hatch and hose again. If there's STILL no problem then peel the tape around the glass and hose.

This works best if the inner trim panels are removed. That way you can actually see any water that is leaking in and where it originates.

Been doing body work for over 20 years and had to trace a lot of leaks. It's not "rocket surgery" as my friend says, just eliminating the possibilities.

Hope this helps.
      1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
      1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
      1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
      FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Comment

Thanks to tulsacarman and all the rest for your .02 worth. I appreciate all the imput. I finally cleared out the garage and am ready to dry out this guy out.

Comment

Wow I just came in into this post. Seems to start desperate and follows by a flood of help. General advice bastille: the general macanic shop doesn't like much our dear Festivas. Here is the place to start.

Go team Festy!
          J-S

'93L "Pepestiva" - 160 miles old Road Slave

Comment

Working...
          X