Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

While I was trying to take the crankshaft bolt off, I slipped and I broke off a small piece of the little cast iron pulley that the bolts go into to hold the bigger pulley onto the crankshaft. Would this throw the balance off. If so, I guess I need a new one which I will ask for correctly under WTB. Im trying to change the timing belt and having trouble getting the crankshaft bolt out, but I did read the thread about using impact wrench so now I need to see if any of my friends have one.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Do borrow an impact, I was holding the pulley in place with a screwdriver while my cousin uses a wrench with a cheater bar and the screwdriver snapped. It would have been ugly if the screwdriver shank went in my hand. Luckily my mechanic was working on my dads car and he came over with his impact wrench and it was off in half a second.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

+1 ^
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Do I need to replace this.

This is what broke. Do I need to get new one, or will this not upset the balance.

01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Definitely replace that.

Comment

Gotta be replaced Thom.
            Chuck
            Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
            If money will fix it, it's not broken
            91 GL -Ol' Rusty
            93 GL - Lil Red
            91 L - Tweetystiva
            http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
            http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Figured that, I started a WTB post for it so I would be correct in asking for one. Don't want to get yelled at, lol.
              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Lol, when I was tearing apart my B6T, the impact wouldn't even bust it loose, I ended up putting a 1/2" breaker bar on it with a sauket, and got a pipe that was about 5 feet long, and it came loose right away lol.
                -Josh R

Comment

Impact with lots of air! If you can bypass your compressor to get more air then do it... Greg "Eurotiva" showed me this trick one day when I couldn't get it loose for days of trying.
                  1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

That link to the Garage section of Miata.net provides a good info on timing belt change for B series engines. Just remember that the Miatas changed to big nose crank in '91, but festivas didn't change to the big nose till '93. But yours is definitely a big nose crank, and it definitely needs replacing. Their trick of putting a breaker bar in place and bumping the starter worked wonders on my Miata to getting that bolt out. Not sure if you'd have room in a festiva though.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

What about putting it back together with epoxy or welding? Doesn't look like there would be any stress on it.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Was thinking same thing

Yes, I thought about jb weld, but if it came loose, would have to tear it apart again and would probably tear belt up. So I started another WTB thread to see if anyone had one laying around or was going to junkyard in next couple days to pick one up for me. I had a salvage yard here but they closed it down to widen the road and got rid of all festiva's there.
                        Last edited by milehighbear; 03-01-2011, 02:04 PM.
                        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Working...
                        X